Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.

These days it is highly emphasized that the responsibility to educate the poor lies on the shoulders of the government. To take this initiative further ahead many developed countries have initiated programmes to invite students from developing countries on full scholarships. But the factor to be noted is that as yet we are unable to analyze that this full scholarship benefits the country in future or not. Many students, who though qualify all sorts of merit based tests, use their government’s money to earn an honorable degree, but then they don’t serve the government which served them. So, to ensure that the state spending is not going waste, there should be an agreement that these willing students will serve their country with the same enthusiasm as of now.

As mentioned earlier many governments have started programs to provide financial support to students who are bright but not financially stable. But there are both positive and negative outcomes associated with these initiatives. To strengthen my analysis I would like to quote a few examples here to have a look at both sides. Firstly, let’s take a look at the example of Pakistan, an under developed state which has taken a few steps as well to support its instable intelligent students. Pakistan, since its beginning in 1947 has provided free education to students studying MBBS. Pakistan considers these future doctors as a national asset and each student spends only one twentieth of the original expenses which the government bears. But statistics have not showed any promising dedication and devotion from the side of these bright doctors towards their under developed nation. Out of these doctors, around forty percent serve other developed countries and while fifteen percent leave their degrees to pursue other careers. Though the reason behind this could be many other proxy variables but the data doesn’t support the government initiative in anyhow.

Now, lets take a look at the initiative taken by united states of America, which provides full scholarship to students in many under developed countries. This scholarship is given on the agreement that students will serve their poor countries for at least an year. Many students who avail this scholarship find ways to avoid coming back to their countries and try to find a job in the prosperous country.

Though these examples throw a very bad perspective towards the audience but some very positive aspects cannot be denied as well. Students in higher level universities should be given financial aid if they can’t afford their tuition fees. But they should also be obliged to serve their country as in economics ‘there is no such thing as free lunch’.