It is known that in recent years, industrial pollution has caused the Earth's ozone layer to thin, allowing an increase in the amount of ultraviolet radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. At the same time, scientists have discovered, the population o

It is known that in recent years, industrial pollution has caused the Earth's ozone layer to thin, allowing an increase in the amount of ultraviolet radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. At the same time, scientists have discovered, the population of a species of salamander that lays its eggs in mountain lakes has declined. Since ultraviolet radiation is known to be damaging to delicate tissues and since salamander eggs have no protective shells, it must be the case that the increase in ultraviolet radiation has damaged many salamander eggs and prevented them from hatching. This process will no doubt cause population declines in other species, just as it has in the salamander species. - GRE Argument 92

In this argument the speaker claims that increased ultraviolet radiation due to thinning of the Earth's ozone layer is responsible for the significant decline in the number of salamanders who lay their eggs in mountain lakes, and that this thinning will cause population declines in other species. To justify these claims the speaker points out that salamander eggs lack a protective shell and thus their tissues are highly susceptible to radiation damage, then reasons that the increased radiation must damage these eggs and prevent them from hatching. The argument is problematic in several criti...