You are here“Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places”

“Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places”

mehrotravidhi8's picture

By mehrotravidhi8 - Posted on 02 April 2012

Law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior, wherever possible. It shapes politics, economics and society in numerous ways and serves as a social mediator of relations between people. A law when enforced is common to every individual. Need it be flexible to certain individuals it would create biasness on account of the government that has enforced the law.I am not in favor of the author's statement that states laws should be flexible enough to take account various circumstances, times and places.

The laws incorporated around the globe are not restricted to one’s territory but also there are certain laws formed by the international organizations that all the countries should abide to.

For example, in the use of nuclear technology there are certain rules and regulations a country must follow in order to acquire the technology. Nobody can forget the catastrophic and destructive effects of atom bombs that were dropped on the Japanese soil by the United States in the year 1945 during the World War II. This resulted in the United Nations forming more firm and stringent laws for the restricted use of nuclear technology. The countries that want to acquire this technology for the production of power and energy have to abide by the laws that have been framed by these organizations. Otherwise there would be more incidences that would cause more human calamity.

Talking about India, the country has been struggling to strike off its name from the list of developing countries and enter itself into the developed country. The reason for this is the growth of the country is being halted by the weak legal system. The constitution does have the laws but incorporation of those laws is just negligible. Corruption in india can be referred to the termites that has made the infrastructure of the country hollow from within. The country still suffers to pass a more stringent and firm anticorruption law. This is due to the leniency and the flexibility of the law makers and the government who fear to be abdicated from power if they impose a more stringent law over the people. They resist to the corrupt practices, greed to be in power.

The only thing that is constant is change and with changing times one should make some amendments within the law as well. For example, homosexuality which was once considered a taboo within the Indian society is now being discussed quiet openly among societies. In recent years, attitudes towards homosexuality have shifted slightly. There have been amendments within the law that has made the country more vocal about this subject. The country made amendments and has made it legal for the protection of homosexuals and this has also helped the nation to curb down on sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS.

In today’s world where everybody is trying to pull each other down, where disharmony, greed and anger persist, there should be more firm laws. But, as people are progressing towards future, amendments and changes could be brought about within the laws keeping in view that once a law is framed it should be followed by every individual within the society.