Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places.

Laws are strictures that are made and practised so that people in a region live in complete harmony and peace, with independence and rights, without encroaching on the same of others. Hence, laws are indispensible for sustaining a society; in absence of law, there is complete anarchy, mayhem and destruction. Additionally, for a law to be fair and just, it should be impartial and unbiased. Hence, law should also be rigid and inflexible, not giving in to circumstances, times or places.

Though it seems that since the nature of crimes vary and the extent to the maliciousness of the convict also varies, therefore the judgment on the fate of the guilty should too. While a rich man may steal something merely for the joy of it, a poor man may do the same for his existence. Hence, more compassion should be shown towards the poor man in determining his fate, while a rich person should be taught a lesson. However, it would be wrong in doing so. The next time, the poor man would take the liberal outlook as his right to steal and his impecunious as his armor for shielding against punishment. This explanation would be more apparent if the crime is a murder. No matter who commits a murder, the punishment should be the same.

Having said that, there are other exceptions to the above stated point. One might think that having such absolutes is wrong, as one cannot give same punishment to a person who kills in self-defense. Of course, it is true, but then the law should be able to distinguish between the same, and should not resolve the same by flexibility. Hence, while framing laws, they should be framed with utmost attention keeping in mind all possibilities that might prove the law too strict or too lenient.

Additionally, if the law changes for different circumstances, then the powerful elite would use the same for their own benefit. From time and again, we have seen examples wherein a tyrant or ruler pardons himself or his beloveds from any form of punishment. This is so, because the law changes according to the whims of a ruler and is not rigid.

Laws should be flexible with time, only to change and adapt to the present needs. Looting is not fair whether it is done during a famine or in good times. Hence, looting should be seen with the same repulsion in both circumstances. However, laws which prevented drivers to drive above a certain speed limit need to change considering that new automobiles are much faster and safer than earlier. Hence, of though a law should change with time, the value attached to it should not. For instance, in the latter example, breaking the speed limit should have the same fine for everyone alike.

Laws are made and brought into practice for serving the people in an unbiased manner and to promote what is fair. Making them mutable, would bar them from serving the very purpose they were made for. Only by being immutable and insensitive to variations in circumstances would a law be fair and fruitful.