Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through large

Mass media and the internet caused exposure of vast knowledge to all people. In this statement author says that due to mass media and internet people's attention spans are reduced. However it has positive effect as people have enhanced ability of sorting. They can prefer what is important to them.I want to discuss both effects of mass media and internet.

Mass media includes various kinds of new paper, magazines and television channels. As this media advanced vastly, we can get any news or report within very less time. Nowadays mass media has adopted such techniques so they can deliver news but it has some serious issues like marketing and trp values. Every channel gives news with lots of advertising and having special effects. and if a channel is biased to the certain political party then we cannot relies on this channel . Hence if we want to get real information about certain issue then we have to refer lot of things. Here author says that people have adopted ability to get sorted information through all this stuff. Actually this is true. If someone has to make essay on an issue and he/she is not able to make decision what to sort out then it is very difficult to make any essay about certain issue.So this is essential to abstract the available information.

Internet is such a source of information that has abundant information. We can get what we want through it, but for this we have to learn how to get information? which sites are to refer? So this is kind of skill which requires while surfing. This is true that while surfing we come across lots of advertisements so this depends on us how we are stick to our subject of interest. Here author says that people have enhanced their skill to get what information we want. This is not absolutely correct. But it has to be correct for productive work. We know nowadays social networking sites are such a trend that many of students are using these sites daily without any sense. If a student has to make some document on subject then he will prefer to search through internet instead of going through a book related to respective subject. But when he will search on internet it is quite obvious that he will divert his mind to other sites such as facebook, twitter. This should not happen to improve the productivity of work.

In all I would like to say that it depends on user that how one is using mass media or internet. These are the only sources so it has both effects.People have adopted skill of sorting information but there are some who needs to work on this skill. But this skill is important for the productivity of work.