Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher

Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas where residents lead healthy lives, and clearly Plainsville is such an area. Plainsville merchants report that sales of running shoes and exercise clothing are at all-time highs. The local health club has more members than ever, and the weight training and aerobics classes are always full. Finally, Plainsville's schoolchildren represent a new generation of potential customers: these schoolchildren are required to participate in a fitness-for-life program, which emphasizes the benefits of regular exercise at an early age.
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author states that Nature’s way, stores selling health food and other health related products is opening its next franchise in Plainsville. Further, the author is laying stress on that the store should prove to be very successful and tend to be much profitable. At first, the argument seems to be logical and convincing. But on further speculation, it is found that it is not logically convincing due to certain gaps and flaws in the argument provided.

Firstly, the author should provide certain necessary statistics regarding the population of the city, the number of members of the local health club or the demographs of the survey. Only then, a satisfactory conclusion can be drawn regarding the number of people using the products offered by Nature’s way and their profit.
Secondly, it is reported by the merchants that the sales of running shoes and exercise clothing are always high. But there can be other reasons for the demand of the accessories than just for the purpose of exercise. The terrain of the area can be a possible reason for the purchase of running shoes. If the terrain of the area is hilly, then running shoes are must for the people to walk and in order to provide comfort to their feet. Moreover, if the weather is kind of an extreme cold or rainy, then track suits or running clothes are preferable.

In addition to this, the author states that the local health club members are more than ever. It is possible that the local clubs offer great options to the members like spa or sauna service. Then the number of members will automatically increase. Further, if they offer schemes like nanny care service for the children, for the time their mothers are busy in the club. It is not necessary that all the people who join the club are there to do exercise only.

Moreover, it is stated that there is a demand for health food. But health food is basically consumed by body builders or the youngsters and not by the children or the older people and it is possible that most of the customers of Nature’s way are people of older age group or the children. So, it cannot be a profitable venture.

So, due to these flaws and gasps in the argument, it cannot be concluded that Nature’s way franchise is going to be a profitable venture. If the above factors like the statistics involved in the survey, the terrain of the place, the age specifications of customers and the services provided by the local clubs are known, then we can reach at an appropriate conclusion.