Nature s Way a chain of stores selling health food and other health related products is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville The store should prove to be very successful Nature s Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas where re

Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas where residents lead healthy lives, and clearly Plainsville is such an area. Plainsville merchants report that sales of running shoes and exercise clothing are at all-time highs. The local health club has more members than ever, and the weight training and aerobics classes are always full. Finally, Plainsville's schoolchildren represent a new generation of potential customers: these schoolchildren are required to participate in a fitness-for-life program, which emphasizes the benefits of regular exercise at an early age.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

Author claims that Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling food is expanding its franchise by opening up in Plainsville. He also claims that the franchise will prove to be highly successful. At first, this argument might look well justified, however, on scrutinizing, one can state that apparently the argument stated is ill considered and flawed.

First, author states that Nature's Franchise tend to profitable in areas where people lead healthy life style and groups Plainsville with those areas. However he does not present with any substantial proof for the same. He does not provide us in figures, the population that bought health products, in areas where Nature's Way was successful. The percentage of population that showed interest in buying food products previously would have made the argument more concrete. The report that sales of running shoes and exercise clothing are at all-time high is purely based on honesty of the merchants. Even if the sales are on high, it does not support the fact that all the shoes and clothes bought are utilized for sole purpose of exercising.

Second, the argument lacks credibility when it states that local health clubs and aerobic training classes are fully occupied. Author does not provide us with any statistics to support the claim. In absence of specific sales figures, it is futile to jump to hasty conclusions. Even if the local health clubs are full, that does not mean that majority of the population is health conscious. It might well be that there are only few health clubs available in Plainsville which leads to their flooding.

Thirdly, the argument relies on the assumption that school children will be the potential customers. Although children are required to participate in a fitness programs, but that does not guarantee that they will use the health products of Nature's Way to stay fit. They might prefer to stay in shape by exercising daily in the same health clubs that the author was talking about earlier.

The argument would have been more comprehensive if author would have presented absolute figures and statistics to support his claim. More specific details about both Nature's Way and Plainsville would have made the argument persuasive. Due to erroneous assumptions and insufficient data the argument put forward is specious.