In order for any work of art---whether film, literature, sculpture, or a song---to have merit, it must be understandable to most people. - GRE Issue 112

The speaker's assertion that art must be widely understood to have merit is wrongheaded. The speaker misunderstands the final objective of art, which has little to do with cognitive "understanding."

First consider the musical art form. The fact that the listener must "understand" the composer's artistic expression without the benefit of words or visual images forces us to ask: "What is there to understand in the first place?" Of course, the listener can always struggle to appreciate how the musical piece employs various harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic principles.
Yet it would be absurd...

Sentence: In the context of these art forms, the speaker seems to suggest that ifwe cannot all understand what the work is supposed to represent, then we should dismiss the work as worthless.
Error: ifwe Suggestion: if we