People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting

The claim is stating that people's behavior is mainly influenced by forces rather than their own choices. I think that this claim has to be examined more carefully in two different contexts depending on what type of behavior and force we are talking about.

If we are making this claim about the behavior of people in their social life, I generally accept this statement. During our communication with other people in the society or during the time that we spend at work, we are undoubtedly and noticeably bounded by the various social forces. Among all these forces, the one that is called "Law" is the most powerful one. Not obeying the law will bring us consequences and punishments of different types and that is why it significantly affects our behavior. Not only law but other type of punishments such as ignoring one or tarnishing his reputation, can strongly affect our actions. If we want to get to home faster and are staying behind the red light with our car, even if the traffic is light and no officer is there, because of respecting the law, which is another way of saying, preventing anarchy in the society, or perhaps not getting a fine ticket, we stay until it becomes light, even thought is not what we truly intend to do. Or when during a conversion with our colleagues we get angry, we won't start fighting because it causes us a lot of more damages of other kinds. However, still one can say that it has been seen plenty of times that people move exactly to the opposite direction the law is forcing them. Yes, revolutions are such examples. But I think this action, however, is because of the overwhelming power of various forces on people that has made them to act so. In fact, this indicates how powerful these forces have been before a revolution takes place.

However, if the context we are talking about is personal life and we are considering moral values as forces, I completely disagree. When the forces are not visible to eye and we are left on our own to decide whether obey them or not, in most of cases we make our choice through personal makings. Almost all religions and tell us "not to lie", but when our own profit comes along we simply ignore this moral value that we have been thought since childhood. I am not going to judge whether lying is good or bad, I am merely saying that our own motives have a stronger effect. It has been observed many times that some who worships moral values has committed a robbery, to for example, gain money for the surgery of his wife. While acting so, we simply rationalize our decision and let our own desires to take control and that is the reason such forces are not as influential as one might think.

All in all, in the case that we are talking about outer forces such as those in a society I believe that claim is correct whereas in the situations that these forces are mental and we are taking personal behavior into consideration I suppose our actions are mainly affected by our own choices. Actually, what determines the amount of effect a force has on our behavior is how explicit or implicit it has been defined for us.

some who worships moral values has committed a robbery
some who worship moral values have committed a robbery