Solano's music education programs This letter concludes that Solano school district should discontinue its music programs altogether. To justify this conclusion the author points out that only 20% of Solano's students enroll in music classes and that few

Solano's music education programs

This letter concludes that Solano school district should discontinue its music programs altogether. To justify this conclusion the author points out that only 20% of Solano's students enroll in music classes and that few Solano students pursue music as a major course of study in college. The author also points out that in nearby Rutherford student grades increased the year after that district discontinued music education. This argument is problematic in several critical respects. - GRE Argument 119

A threshold problem with the argument is that it relies on certain implicit assumptions about the value of music education. Specifically, the author assumes that any education program is valuable only to the extent that it enhances overall grades and only if students choose to pursue that course of study in college. Such normative assumptions are dubious at best; common sense tells me that the chief value of music education, like that of art or physical education, lies in its contribution to the full development of a child, not in its influence on grades or choice of career. Without addressi...

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/gmatgre