You are here Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

phil's picture

By phil - Posted on 03 April 2012

Government’s funding of arts is actually a comprehensive issue, including which arts should be funded, how much should government devote. We can’t just give a simple answer yes or no. In my view, the minority of art should be sponsored, while popular art could make living by business or other social organization.

Most of us enjoy the beauty of art, like music, painting, movies, and so on. These amazing art works can release people, inspiring public and give us a sense of beauty. Such as Mona Lisa, which is the most beautiful painting ever, attract us by her charming smile. While art can be impressive and meaningful, but there are some problems on how the artists make living, especially those occupy the minority area of art. For instance, Chinese version B-BOX which majors in mimicking nature sound, has thousands years history. But now, it is facing a dilemma due to the shrink population of audience, as well as lesser people who are willing to learn it. Only through government’s funding, this tradition art can be preserved, and luckily, the art
funding association just publishes a policy to support these minorities.

While in some popular arts, government’s funding seems not to help them, but to destroy them. First, government has limited funding to devote, so not every artist can get a piece of the cake. To earn the support, some popular artist chooses to flatter government by their work. Such as some writers in china, writing eulogy of the communist party every day to make money. And some directors, cast revolutionary movies all the time to flatter the party. A more severe case is that BoXiLai, who is governor of ChongQing, forces government departments, commerce institutions, universities and schools singing ‘red songs’, and thus to learn the Maoist idea. Under such totalitarianism, everybody sing ‘red songs’, how would arts develop. From Bo’s extreme case, we can see government understand the meaning of popular art, and may further take advantage of it to advocate their politic will. So, it is critical to avoid this case, that government impedes the integrity of arts through funding, and to achieve their own goals.

In conclusion, government funding of arts should be properly utilized, instead of serving their own purpose. As illustrated above, minority of the arts is most needed to be sponsored, and thus to preserve the tradition, while the popular arts should not be funded, due to either their own ability to make money, or government may take advantage of it.

tuposwmv france

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

harry india

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

Ekhlas US / Iraq

Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developi nargess1981
The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend."Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work mohamedabdelhakim
Issue 1"We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own."; disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning." goGRE sticky icon
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument.The following is taken from the editorial section of the local newspaper in Rockingham."In order to save a considerable amount of money, Rockingham's century-old town hall should be torn down and replaced b ghazalaz
Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future. meghna
In most professions and academic fields, imagination is more important than knowledge rswetha88 sticky icon
56Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a aloha871111 sticky icon
Many lives might have been saved if inoculations against cow flu were routinely administered to all people in the areas where the disease is detected.However , since there is a small possibility that a person will die as a result of the inoculations , we jigyasu juneja
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo Ly Phuong Thao
The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette."On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involv utkarshece

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11
Television is entirely democratic in that its content is controlled by what the people want. angel
The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you t utkarshece
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. I Agata
Claim: The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.Reason: Heroes and role models reveal a society's highest ideals.Write a response in wh yjc1989
GMAT Test Preparation Tips essayking sticky icon
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. zoom
Claim: An action is morally correct if the amount of good that results from the action is greater than the amount of bad that results from the action.Reason: When assessing the morality of an action, the results of an action are more important than the in s
Governments should not fund any scientific research whose consequences are unclear.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing 1489927237@qq.com
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. nargess1981

As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoni dreamlizz sticky icon
The best ideas arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things.Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement above and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should c koser_2
Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field. dreamlizz sticky icon
Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country nbkru2f
The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be 2971 sticky icon
"The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes. In another part of the state, a section of Route 40, paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago, saharpouya
The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones. dreamlizz sticky icon
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks. dreamlizz
The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One nbkru2f sticky icon
To understand the most important characteristics of society, one must study it's major cities. dreamlizz

In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field. 2971 sticky icon
The following appeared in a recommendation from the president of Amburg's Chamber of Commerce."Last October the city of Belleville installed high-intensity lighting in its central business district, and vandalism there declined within a month. The city of nbkru2f
Laws should be flexible enough to take account of various circumstances, times, and places. saharpouya
The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals. saharpouya

Sentence: For instance, Chinese version B-BOX which majors in mimicking nature sound, has thousands years history.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to thousands and years

Sentence: From Bo's extreme case, we can see government understand the meaning of popular art, and may further take advantage of it to advocate their politic will.
Description: The fragment government understand the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace understand with verb, past tense

Sentence: Under such totalitarianism, everybody sing red songs', how would arts develop.
Error: totalitarianism Suggestion: No alternate word

Your problem is always Discourse Markers. Check out online how to remove it.