You are here Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

phil's picture

By phil - Posted on 03 April 2012

Government’s funding of arts is actually a comprehensive issue, including which arts should be funded, how much should government devote. We can’t just give a simple answer yes or no. In my view, the minority of art should be sponsored, while popular art could make living by business or other social organization.

Most of us enjoy the beauty of art, like music, painting, movies, and so on. These amazing art works can release people, inspiring public and give us a sense of beauty. Such as Mona Lisa, which is the most beautiful painting ever, attract us by her charming smile. While art can be impressive and meaningful, but there are some problems on how the artists make living, especially those occupy the minority area of art. For instance, Chinese version B-BOX which majors in mimicking nature sound, has thousands years history. But now, it is facing a dilemma due to the shrink population of audience, as well as lesser people who are willing to learn it. Only through government’s funding, this tradition art can be preserved, and luckily, the art
funding association just publishes a policy to support these minorities.

While in some popular arts, government’s funding seems not to help them, but to destroy them. First, government has limited funding to devote, so not every artist can get a piece of the cake. To earn the support, some popular artist chooses to flatter government by their work. Such as some writers in china, writing eulogy of the communist party every day to make money. And some directors, cast revolutionary movies all the time to flatter the party. A more severe case is that BoXiLai, who is governor of ChongQing, forces government departments, commerce institutions, universities and schools singing ‘red songs’, and thus to learn the Maoist idea. Under such totalitarianism, everybody sing ‘red songs’, how would arts develop. From Bo’s extreme case, we can see government understand the meaning of popular art, and may further take advantage of it to advocate their politic will. So, it is critical to avoid this case, that government impedes the integrity of arts through funding, and to achieve their own goals.

In conclusion, government funding of arts should be properly utilized, instead of serving their own purpose. As illustrated above, minority of the arts is most needed to be sponsored, and thus to preserve the tradition, while the popular arts should not be funded, due to either their own ability to make money, or government may take advantage of it.

ashu india

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

apastyRag Ethiopia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situ Mascha
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo App786
The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals. zoom
Teacher's salaries should be based on their student's academic performance. anirban1989
To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a number of new dormitories. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current trends, will double over the next 50 years, thus making existing dormitory space inadequate. rohitnim sticky icon
Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take Ly Phuong Thao sticky icon
People who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are poor decision makers.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the pos mercury014
The way a message is delivered is often more important than the message itself.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. prifriendz
"The following appeared in the annual report from the president of the National Brush Company. - "In order to save money, we at the National Brush Company have decided to pay our employees for each brush they produce instead of for the time they spend pro Sauvik_B sticky icon
170 The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of a company that builds shopping malls around the country."The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dan suckerpunch sticky icon

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently Vanan
People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yjc1989
Television is entirely democratic in that its content is controlled by what the people want. angel
The primary goal of technological advancement should be to increase people's efficiency so that they have more leisure time.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for t Vanan
Some people believe that our ever-increasing use of technology significantly reduces our opportunities for human interaction. Other people believe that technology provides us with new and better ways to communicate and connect with one another. Vanan
The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint utkarshece
Claim: The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.Reason: Heroes and role models reveal a society's highest ideals. myyid68
The increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves prakash
The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning f madame

As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and mysterious.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree nbkru2f sticky icon
In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type of boo nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts. Chengyuan Cai sticky icon
Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a nbkru2f
"It takes a village to raise a child. The education of our children is the task of community as a whole, not merely the province of the teachers and local school administrators". shraddha kc
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently koser_2 sticky icon
The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of nbkru2f
The following appeared in an e-mail sent by the marketing director of the Classical Shakespeare Theatre of Bardville."Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre product nbkru2f
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys dreamlizz

Every individual in a society has a responsibility to obey just laws and to disobey and resist unjust laws.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure nbkru2f
The following is a recommendation from the business manager of Monarch Books."Since its opening in Collegeville twenty years ago, Monarch Books has developed a large customer base due to its reader-friendly atmosphere and wide selection of books on all su nbkru2f
The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint 2971
The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any 2971

Sentence: For instance, Chinese version B-BOX which majors in mimicking nature sound, has thousands years history.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to thousands and years

Sentence: From Bo's extreme case, we can see government understand the meaning of popular art, and may further take advantage of it to advocate their politic will.
Description: The fragment government understand the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace understand with verb, past tense

Sentence: Under such totalitarianism, everybody sing red songs', how would arts develop.
Error: totalitarianism Suggestion: No alternate word

Your problem is always Discourse Markers. Check out online how to remove it.