Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently

In the present scenario most of the countries are democratic. Many forget that, people are the ultimate authority in the country and political leaders are there to serve them. Any policies or laws are framed, considering the well being of the people, so political leaders must yield to public opinion on these matters and based on the response, they can either introduce the policy or reject it.

Consider world’s largest democratic country as an example, it has been more than 60 years, since India has got independence but still few policies are not framed properly because of which there exists a lot of problems. Corruption is the biggest problem which the country could not solve. People are forced to bribe officials, an effective political leader is the one who asks, opinions of the people before framing the laws and analyze it and introduced new laws or policies which would certainly had positive impact because people are the one who are suffering, so their suggestion will be apt.

It is impossible for the people to suggest, to political leaders because there is no way to communicate between them. Hence political leaders should form a committee to understand the people’s opinions and analyze on it and to arrive at a solution. This committee will help political leaders to remove or frame new laws which will benefit the people.

However political leaders cannot discuss everything with the people because there are few issues which are related to national security which cannot be revealed to everyone. Hence those issues can be addressed, either by asking opinions to professors or Doctorates in the respective field. So that they can give a clear picture of the advantages and disadvantages involved in it. Thus political leaders can arrive at a solution based on their suggestions which will be more effective rather than asking opinions to someone who does not have much knowledge on that field.

Summing it up, political leaders must be open to public opinions as they are serving them, rather than doing so if they stick to particular principles and objectives which does not satisfy people, it would be of no use. One more important point to be considered is, political leaders should not follow the opinions suggested by people as such, they should analyze and make a decision. All these qualities make a effective political leader.