Statistics gathered over the past three decades show that the death rate is higher among those who do not have jobs than among those with regular employment. Unemployment, just like heart disease and cancer, is a significant health issue. While many healt

Statistics gathered over the past three decades show that the death rate is higher among those who do not have jobs than among those with regular employment. Unemployment, just like heart disease and cancer, is a significant health issue. While many health care advocates promote increased government funding for medical research and public health care, it would be folly to increase government spending if doing so were to affect the nation’s economy adversely and ultimately cause a rise in unemployment. A Healthy economy means healthy citizens.

The given letter to the editor has attempted to give a "health" dimension to an economic phenomenon by suggesting that economic unemployment is a health concern comparable to lifestyle and/or genetic diseases such as heart disorders and cancer. The letter further seems to suggest that increased expenditure on public health care may not be warranted, if it leads to an increase in unemployment. The entire argument is flawed due to the reasons discussed below.

The author mentions statistics over the past thirty years about death rate and unemployment. However, it remains unclear whether the same subjects were tracked over thirty years, or different cohorts were studied in different years. In other words, it has not been specified whether the study utilized longitudinal/panel data or cross section. Drawing a causal link between death rate and employment status, based on cross-section or time series data is usually not possible.

Further, the author's opening sentence mentions that the death rate is higher among those who do not have jobs than those with regular employment. Presumably, the author takes the statistics to imply that unemployment "causes" death in people. This is a preposterous claim, as he/she cites nothing about the medical cause of death in the people studied during the three decades (as mentioned). Those who were unemployed perhaps had a medical history not correlated in any manner to their employment status. In other words, unless a control-treatment analysis has been conducted, comparing the death rates amongst the employed and unemployed would be a statistical anamoly.

Continuing with the same claim, the author does not clarify the definition of "not having jobs". Were the unemployed people covered in the study out of jobs temporarily or was there a permanent loss of employment? Temporary, seasonal and permanent job loss could be differently correlated with the medical status of a person.

The letter mentions that spending on health care may affect the economy and "cause a rise in unemployment". Apart from being presented without any supporting theory, this claim is entirely ungrounded. More spending on health care and research may, on the contrary, increase employment. For instance, building of laboratories, hospitals and research centres would require people; more doctors, nurses and support staff would be required to manage the health care centres etc. Thus, the concern that increased public expenditure may cause unemployment seems unqualified.

The concerns expressed in the letter seem to be suffering from a lack of knowledge and strong theoretical basis complemented with robust evidence. However, the relation between unemployment and health seems interesting and warrants further study. The author of the letter could strengthen the argument, by quoting relevant scientific studies which conduct analysis using robust statistical techniques and covering a wide range of medical reasons.

Sentence: In other words, unless a control-treatment analysis has been conducted, comparing the death rates amongst the employed and unemployed would be a statistical anamoly.
Error: anamoly Suggestion: ?