The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers artists or scientists but by the general welfare of its people Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a

The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position

Nations assume greatness for different reasons such as size, wealth, previous world domination, achievements of citizens, and charisma of rulers. Hence, the above assumption is extreme. This is because the term greatness has various interpretations and the indicators of a great nation are not subject to precise measurements.

One might argue that China, India or America are great nations because of their size and others would reject that claim and state that they are not great cause human rights are violated in China and the United States cannot reach a consensus on universal healthcare. Therefore, the assumption that the greatest of a nation can be measured in a precise manner is flawed.

However, America is an example of a great nation, it is a great nation not because of the achievement of rulers or the welfare of the people but because of its values and culture as a country where dreams and hopes are realized. This also shows that measuring greatness is subjective.Also, countries like Britain are regarded as great because it colonized many countries. Furthermore, Western European countries assumed greatness because they gave the world scholars, poets and ineventions.

Pre-industrailized Britain was regarded as great despite the poverty and lack experienced by citizens. Similarly Communist Russia focussed on the welfare of its people. Rather than being regarded as a great nation, it was despised as an enemy of the world n addition, countries like Norway and Sweden where the citizens experience high standards of living are not regarded as great. Thus, the assumption that greatness can be measured by the standard of living of her people is flawed.

Nevertheless, some countries like Dubai and Singapore are regarded as great because the leaders of these countries drove development that lea to the welfare of the people.

In conclusion, the above assumption would not be valid in all cases because measuring greatness is not precise. Some nations are regarded as great because it excels in sports, the scholarship and innovations it has bequeath the world, size, sometimes because of the general welfare of the people.

Sentence: Furthermore, Western European countries assumed greatness because they gave the world scholars, poets and ineventions.
Error: ineventions Suggestion: inventions

Seems the essay is a little bit out of topic. The essay asked 'great nation...not A, but B...'. You didn't talk about A or B. You are talking about C. even for C, you didn't argue a lot, you listed some examples only.

Search and read other essays with this topic to see the difference.

Let us know your ideas.