Teachers' salaries should be based on the academic performance of their students

A teacher better known as the “Guru” is that important part of a student’s life who guides and teaches the student. It is the moral duty of the teacher to provide knowledge and to guide the student towards the right path and on the part of the student, it is his duty to trust his teacher and follow his footsteps. So, if a child does not succeed, it is solely not the negligence on the part of the teacher. Sometimes the students are equally faulty.

It is the duty of a teacher to keep an eye on each and every student. He should try to figure out the weaknesses of the students and must work out to fill the gaps. But is it solely not the duty of a teacher to try his best. The student too, must play his part equally well so that both the teacher and his pupil are benefitted. So, automatically the academic performance of the students will be good and the teacher can get his salary accordingly.

To an extent i agree that the salary of teachers should be based on the academic performance of their students. Sometimes, mostly in government organizations, as the salary of the teachers is fixed and there is no proper check on them, they fail to carry out their duties well. It is their thinking that whether they teach the students well or not, they are definitely going to get their full fledged salaries. They don’t even care about the result of the students as it is not going to effect their output in terms of their promotion or demotion.

But, if we have a look on the other side of the same coin, this can harm the teachers in some way. One of the possibility is that if the teacher is performing his duty well but the negligence is on the part of the student, then automatically the teacher is going to suffer. If the student does not study well or is least interested in studying and is not at all bothered about the result, a teacher cannot do much but will have to pay the price.

There can be a possibility that merely for the sake of better salary or incentives, a teacher evaluates the pupil’s performance wrongly. What worse can happen further? This case should never arise.

So, one of the possible solution to the problem can be to fix some salary for each and every teacher. Further, incentives or promotions must be provided keeping in view the capabilities of the teacher. Moreover, if a teacher is not performing his duties, there should be a scope for demotions too in order to make improvements in the education system.