Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than

Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. Recently another anthropologist, Dr. Karp, visited the group of islands that includes Tertia and used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices. In the interviews that Dr. Karp conducted with children living in this group of islands, the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. Dr. Karp decided that Dr. Field's conclusion about Tertian village culture must be invalid. Some anthropologists recommend that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

It is possible that the interview method may be better than the observation method. However, the argument above fails to prove this. The overall point is that interview based method is better than the observation method. However, the recommendation does not recognize the fact that there is a twenty year difference between the two studies and also that practices change. The claims made by the recommendation is thus faulty.

To determine the best method on Tertian child- rearing practices, anthropologists need to ascertain how Dr Field observed his sample before drawing his conclusions. Did...

No. of Words: 488 350 (less words wanted in real exams)

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/gmatgre