To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve

Essay topics: To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

shinjini92's picture

The argument that to understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities is a narrow-minded approach to truly understand a society. While it is logical to study cities as these have the highest concentration of population, such an approach ignores the small towns, and rural areas that also make up the society.

For a country, such as India, where more than 70 per cent of people live in rural areas, studying just the cities will give one an incomplete picture of how the society is. Major cities offer the most visible characteristics of a society, modern or historical, real or fantastic. They are usually the political, financial and social capitals of a society. When we are trying to get a superficial understanding of a society, it is the city which provides us a view of the fast-paced, ever-changing political, financial, technological or social spheres, all of which are situated in major cities. However, to gain a deeper understanding of a society or rather, the relatively permanent aspects of a society, we must also investigate into minor cities, towns, villages.

The political, financial and social aspects of a society are certainly important. But one cannot ignore the other important facets namely tradition, history and culture. Most major cities are cosmopolitan in nature, that is, they have people of different societies living together. Thus, the cultural, and traditional aspects of a society somewhat gets diluted. On the other hand, in small towns and villages, there is almost no globalization and the traditions and cultures of the society are relatively preserved.

In conclusion, while the major cities of a society do provide valuable insights into the political, economic and social aspects of a society, one must also study its smaller towns and villages for more information and understanding of all its traditions and culture.