Essay topics: To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.
The statement above conceals interesting connotations that those major cities are more representative, as for learning the features of the overall society. Nevertheless, it seems to fail to take into account the fact that medium and small cities also play an indispensable role in the judgment of the characteristics of a social system.
Admittedly, as the economic, political and cultural centers, major cities are often likened to bellwethers of a nation’s development in many aspects. To some degree, major cities do represent some significant features that characterize a society, particularly in the process of modernization. This point can be illustrated with the example of Beijing, which is the symbol of Chinese ancient civilization. Despite much recent construction, Beijing remains a city of great monuments, palaces, temples and other reminders of the past glory of imperial China. As we explore into the portrait of Beijing, not only can we acknowledge a plenty of traditional custom of China, but also can obtain information about its new development style in the contemporary.
However, when people are sparing no efforts to do research about the major cities, an essential problem arises : are these features existed in major cities the best ones that can broadly represent the whole characteristics of a society? In view of the large area and different layers of a society, the assumption in the statement above is not valid.
Looking back at the prior example of Beijing, it is of deep cultural heritage and modern features, yet maybe just because it is the capital! Contrary to the modern urban life, more than 700 million Chinese remain peasants now, hence the majority of Chinese still live in rural farming communities. Given this reality in China, at least, more attention should be paid to the situation of the living conditions and life styles in rural area. Without observation over large groups and the most widespread type of cities, the generalization of the characteristics will not make sense.
Thus, while our observation of a society necessitates major cities, certain medium and small cities are equally important. In some cases, like Beijing, the later one even exerts a more profound function on the operation of a society, especially when there exists a certain kind of habitual residence which strongly appeals to most people who are in the largest group. This is like the famous Chinese idiom “three blind men touching an elephant”, each one of them touched a part of an elephant but regarded it as a whole. When conducting a research, to only look into one aspect of the subject, regardless of its value, will surly leads to an absurd result like the conclusion of the blind men.
Cities like Beijing and New York can’t entirely show people the image of China and the United States, a broader perspective is in need when identifying the overall characteristics of a society, that is the way in which more representative types of residence, no matter if it’s major cities or towns, could get a balance in consideration.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 weeks 6 days ago||kasterborous||83||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 4 days ago||akshatha ts||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 5 days ago||Zekun||62||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||lebronjames||58||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Rahul Gore||50||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Chioma||58.6667||Read full essay|
|4 months 3 days ago||mharish2797||55||Read full essay|
|4 months 4 days ago||harshshah||74||Read full essay|
|4 months 2 weeks ago||vader0809||66||Read full essay|
|5 months 2 days ago||sujith96||50||Read full essay|
- Claim: Researchers should not limit their investigations to only those areas in which they expect to discover something that has an immediate, practical application.Reason: It is possible to predict the outcome of a line of research with any certainty. (67.5)
- Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero. Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished. (74.88890000000001)
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing."During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than (88.33329999999999)
- Government officials should rely on their own judgment rather than unquestioningly carry out the will of the people they serve. (80)
- ISSUE(67)Some people believe that society should try to save every plant and animal species, despite the expense to humans in effort, time and financial well-being. Others believe that society need not make extraordinary efforts, especially at a great cos (72.5)
- ARGUMENT(22)According to a recent report, cheating among college and university students is on the rise. However, Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code, which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their (77.5)
- ARGUMENT(51)The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.“Butter has now been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. Only about 2 percent of customers (70)
- ISSUE(94)The effectiveness of a country’s leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens. (58.2353)
- ISSUE(8)Claim: In any field---business, politics, education, government---those in power should step down after five years.Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership (90)
- ISSUE(80)Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or employed. (85.71429999999999)