"Unfortunately, the media tend to highlight what is sensational at the moment. Society would be better served if the media reported or focused more fully on events and trends that will ultimately have the most long-term significance."

Media in the 21st Century is a complicated industry, with many forms and varying "standards", but the task of defining the appropriate role and/or primary purpose of media in general is as old as the very idea of communication itself. Its the role of media to serve the needs of society? If so, then in what way? Should media be used to serve in the sense of "deliver service", therefore presenting to whatever part of the public is identified as "audience" whatever that audience seems most to want? Are media simply in business, struggling as any business might to identify and exploit relevant mar...

Sentence: Its the role of media to serve the needs of society?
Description: The tag a determiner, possessive is not usually followed by the
Suggestion: Refer to Its and the

Sentence: Some members of the media are so commited to this ideal that they make little money, or none at all.
Error: commited Suggestion: committed

Sentence: However, it is not the level of sensation that dictates whether or not somthing is useful, nor whether it is significant in the short or long term.
Error: somthing Suggestion: something

Sentence: The reality is that many consumers of media have grown up enmeshed in the cyclical pattern of passive consumption of visual media in larger and larger amounts, thus training the brain to create what a leading neuroscientist calls 'neural grooves' that leave it less able to assimilate information presented in other ways.
Error: neuroscientist Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: This is shown in the mostly lossing battle of prevention programs which aim to reduce dangerous behaviors, such as AIDS prevention and teen smoking.
Error: lossing Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: Our sociery is mobile, restless and impatient, and while the media reinforce these characteristics, it is not certain that our society would be better served by a more long-term focus on the part of media, especially if we are bound as a culture to live from one neuron's fire to the next.
Error: sociery Suggestion: society

The introduction paragraph is too long.