Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study

Variety in life helps open doors to many exciting and wonderful experiences. If this concept is applied to tertiary education, where a student reading a certain course is introduced to a variety of courses not pertaining to the field he/she is studying in, then the introduction of variety helps broaden a student’s knowledge in various other fields hence directly contributing to broadening their chances of obtaining a job right after graduation. Furthermore, in institutions where counseling is absent, this endeavor will help students decide where exactly their passion lie’s so they can make use of this opportunity to change majors before they regret following a course that they did not enjoy.

Many of us seek to broaden our knowledge in various fields. If a student continues in their chosen field of study, then their mind is trained to understand only one area. For example, a student reading a Biomedical Engineering course will only be exposed to theory of medical devices and equipment’s such as x-ray machines, MRI's, defibrillators, patient monitors etc. However, if the university makes it compulsory for these students to choose an elective outside the umbrella of Biomedical engineering, the student will have gained additional knowledge which will directly aid them in the future. The student could select a course in business, literature, languages or else if the student has a passion for music he/she could follow music theory and learn various instruments such as the guitar, piano, banjo, cello etc.

With a broadened knowledge in hand, the student will directly be granted many opportunities to obtain jobs with ease. With a languishing economical state in most countries around the world, the unemployment rates have skyrocketed. Although most graduates have extensive knowledge pertaining to their major, they lack the experience that most employers seek. To have a vast knowledge of various other courses beforehand will somewhat aid in mollifying the situation by allowing the student to seek alternative options. For example, a graduate of electrical engineering who has also taken courses related to business studies can opt to head into a career of business if the student fails to secure a job in their chosen field.

Another facet to studying a variety of courses is that students will have the freedom of deciding where their passion lies. For example, a student enrolled in medicine could be more passionate about law or music. Therefore by following such courses the student can decide beforehand and thereby get a head start in their career. In order to repent following a course which does not motivate you in the future it is better to switch courses ahead of time and follow a career that you are most passionate about. After all, it is the drive and motivation that determines if you will fail or succeed in your career.

In conclusion, students reading variety of courses will no doubt have a brighter future with more opportunities at hand thereby allowing them to enjoy what they do instead of repenting choosing a course they have no interest or passion in.

No. of Words: 508 350 (less words in real exams)