You are hereWoven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

fiddo's picture

By fiddo - Posted on 06 August 2012

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

With the information provided, the assumptions leading to the conclusion drawn in this argument remain unfounded. The author uses the evidence that the Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found, which concludes so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean .However, the author makes a number of unproved assumptions that hamper a reader's ability to believe the author conclusion. If author were to provide more evidence to support the assumptions, the argument would be much more effective.

The primary assumption underlying the author's conclusion is about brim river width and depth. At present time Brim River is very deep and broad so author assumes that during ancient time also the river was very deep and broad. But it may not be true, it might be possible that during ancient time there was no river at all and geological changes cause this to happen. It is also possible that during that time temperature of the river region was below freezing point and river water was in the form of ice. To reinforce the argument author should have discussed about geological and climatic situation of that place during ancient time.

Moreover, the author assumes that archaeologist have not found any boats in that region so ancient paleans had not used boat to cross brim river. But it might be also true that they have used boat made of very light wood and now it has fully deteriorated and we don’t have superior technology that can detect completely deteriorated materials. So instead of only boats archaeologist should have also looked for boat making tools that information can be helpful to conclude they have used boats or not.

The author further assumes that woven baskets can only be transported by humans from palean to lithos.But it might be also true that due to river flood or some other natural disasters it gets transported to lithos. So, to counter these questions authors should have discussed about the history of flood and natural disasters of brim river region.

To sum up, The author fails to substantiate its claim that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean , because he has not given sufficient evidence to support his argument. He should have discussed about survey data, climatic condition of ancient time, detail archaeologists report etc to substantiate his claim.

Pronunciation & fluency evaluations. Choose a category to start:
Most recent Pronunciation & Fluency evaluations
Name Date Scores Full evaluations
daneiz 1 hour 59 min ago 71.34 How do you do, it is my pleasure to meet you.
daneiz 2 hours 44 sec ago 71.63 Good evening, Ladies and Gentleman. Welcome to my birthday party. Hope you have a good time.
newlife 1 day 21 hours ago 74.13 Do you have a computer? Yes, I do.
newlife 1 day 21 hours ago 66.69 Hi, good to see you again.
newlife 1 day 21 hours ago 67.54 May I have your name, please?
newlife 1 day 21 hours ago 66.48 She is very well, thank you.