The best ideas arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things.

The statement above claims that it is from the passionate interest in common place things that best ideas emerge. I generally disagree with such an extremist claim. Although ideas can arise from the passionate interest in things, first, it has not to be in commonplace things necessarily, and secondly, aside passionate interest as a motivator, there can be other factors such as the survival instinct prompting individuals to conceive great ideas.

To begin with, one of the factors that makes us be curious about things to make great ideas can be passionate interest in commonplace things. Ideas are born of curiosity. Curiosity is the desire to know, and it will only be satisfied when the individual knows comprehensively and attentively about a thing.While uninterested people are indifferent to the details of a commonplace thing, Interest can make individuals to be attentive and curious enough to see the details and make a great idea out of a commonplace thing. Consider James watt. The idea of first steam engine was not conceived until the time that James Watt was interested in the movements of a kettle's door to come to think of using such steam force in practical ways. Hence, beholden to passionate interest in a commonplace thing like a kettle's door, the idea of steam engine is born.

However, there is no necessity that commonplace things trigger the ideas. Many are those cutting edge technological advancements that inspire people to create great ideas. It was with the advent of first space station that the idea of global positioning system (G.P.S) conceived by its inventors. With the availability of nanotechnology apparatus that inventors strike upon making nano-engineered materials. All these sources of inspiration cannot be named as a commonplace things while they inspired conceiving the great ideas that has led to great contributions.

Finally, desire is the mother of inventions.It is with sensing a desire that individuals become attentive to details of things and make great ideas by observing differently. Whether a desire is to satisfy a passionate interest, or survival instinct, there can be different factors that make us be curious about things to make great ideas. For example in the escape from Auschwitz concentration camps, more than being interested in the escape, it was the survival instinct that a polish soldier escapes accompanying three other prisoners wearing German uniforms. Hence, beside interest there are other factors that can provoke great ideas.

In short, as it is discussed in the body paragraphs, although passionate interest is important in conceiving great ideas, it is not necessary that such interest be found in commonplace things. Moreover, individuals should sense the desire to make great ideas. Such a desire could arise from passionate interest or other factors like survival instinct to prompt the individual to make a great plan.

A little bit out of the track. It is for 'The best ideas' not for 'The great ideas'.