The best way to solve environmental problems caused by consumer-generated waste is for towns and cities to impose strict limits on the amount of trash they will accept from each household.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree

The best way to solve environmental problems caused by consumer-generated waste is for towns and cities to impose strict limits on the amount of trash they will accept from each household.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Today we have a grave problem with consumer-generated waste in urban areas and many of us propose to impose strict limits on the amount of garbage which is accepted from each household. Although this idea has many proponents, I disagree with it because even if it works, it will not address the root of the problem. The reasons of my stance will be discussed in more details below.

To begin with, we should answer on a question: how people will react on this law? Perhaps they disobey to it intentionally or accidently. In this case, amount of garbage generated by people will exceed the recommended limits. In case, the additional trash is not accepted by a special service, residents may try to find an alternative way to dispatch it, for instance, by creating new scrape yards in the neighborhood, or by burning the trash. In both cases the actions will hurt environment; perhaps, the damage may be even more serious than before. Of course, an alternative exists, government may charge additional fee to take care about the surplus of the garbage but this action may bring unexpected results as well. For instance, if the size of fee is too small, people will not change their conduct and thus volume of garbage produced will be preserved. In case, the amount of money is too big, people will try to find alternative ways to dispatch the garbage from burning it to throwing it in water of local rivers. In other words, the implementation of the policy may not solve the problem.

However, even if we assume that the policy works properly, we will still face significant difficulties because the policy is not aimed at the root of the problem. To illustrate an idea, we may imagine that the policy is implemented in New York city, and it is accepted by residents unquestionably, the amount of garbage produced by the people will be enormous. For example, even if we accept five kilos of waste from each house hold per day, we have more than five millions households which are situated in the area. Consequently, the volume of garbage produced weekly is 175 000 000 kilos. This is a huge volume of waste which ought to be collected and stored in scrape yards. This garbage will poison the soil, the water and the air of the planet. In other words, the proposed policy does not combat the problem but only alleviate it. As a result, the policy cannot be perceived as the best policy.

Of course, you may aver that even alleviation of the grave problem is better than nothing and I concur with this position but we have a better option. We may create a policy which will address the core of the problem. Of course, this solution ought to be systematic. For instance, we will inevitably generate waste, so, we need to make this garbage less dangerous, for instance, we can use nature-friendly packages such as paper, and we may use bottles and items repeatedly and sort out garbage by its characteristics to be able to recycle it. All of those steps will allow us recycle the waste and thus combat the problem.

In conclusion, we often look for a simple solution such as an introduction of a new restriction; however, such policies often have many problems with their implementation, but even successful fulfillment will not combat the problem but only alleviate it. Consequently, only thoughtful policy which addresses the root of the problem may work. ________________

We didn't get the second argument. Whether people accept imposing strict limits on the amount of trash or not, the government has to put the trash somewhere.

-----------------------