Claim: The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.Reason: Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea.Write a res

Claim: The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.

Reason: Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

Argumentation about certain issues can definitely provide some clarity, not just with the people we are having a discussion with but in ourselves as well. On the surface, it may seem like what an argument should strive for is being able to convince the other person that you are right, or convince them of a particular idea. However, that can be accomplished in many erroneous ways. The best test of an argument is actually not to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint, but to somehow allow the other person to look through the different perspective and see where the other viewpoint comes from in a logical manner, whether ultimately agreeing or disagreeing.

Convincing someone with an opposing viewpoint of the other side seems like the ultimate goal, but there are various ways in which it can be accomplished and not be logical. Take two different people who are arguing. One may belittle the other, and bring up reasons as to why the other person is never right. The first person may derogate the other so much, and bring up past examples where that person was also wrong, and may ultimately convince that person that he or she is wrong and thus should take the different viewpoint. This may be a little extreme, but it would definitely be a way to convince another person. What an actual argument should aim for is to cause each person to look through the lens of the other viewpoint while providing logical reasons for the other viewpoint. Even if the people disagree on what is logical, atleast giving some perspective as to where the other people come from, if done so with care and sensitivity, can open someone’s mind that much more. A weak argument will do nothing to change any perspective in any ways, but the best an argument can do is to “open eyes”. The other people may still end up opposing it, but atleast explaining one’s different perspective will open the doors for further insight. In reality, someone may have great reasons for believing what they do and may provide strong, hard rationale but the other person may still be too emotionally invested in their own viewpoint to change. Thus, they wouldn’t be convinced, but it wouldn’t be fair to dismiss the argument. Not only is reasoning key in arguments, but also providing our worldview without bringing in hostility.

Defending an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others can definitely be a strong motivator in actually believing that idea more or just reexamining it. By arguing for it, we can take it into perspective strongly move towards it even more after the argument is over, and in some cases, rethink our position. However, it is not the only way to discover the value of that idea. It’s certainly a strong factor, but how strong it is depends on each person. Perhaps there are people who, by arguing for it with their reasons, they become more attached to that idea and it reaffirms their position, but there may be people who don’t like the process of arguing for their beliefs. Perhaps by arguing for their beliefs, they start to become emotional and their reasons for believing in such a thing start to waver. If hostility is present this can definitely happen, especially if one is being forced to defend it, and the person may end up becoming weary of the value of the idea after it. How we discover the value of an idea, and how strong our value in it is, entirely depends on our way of thinking and of dealing with argumentation. Again, perhaps for many people logical reasoning and quietly contemplating on an idea as time goes on, finding out more information and thinking about other perspectives and viewpoints, is the way to discover that value in the idea.

Ultimately, our goal in arguing shouldn’t be to change the other person’s opinions completely, not particularly to take our own viewpoint. Our goal should be to offer new perspective and another individual’s experience. That’s really the best we can do. Taking part in arguments with others over ideas may either strengthen or harm our stability in those ideas, and it’s differs from individual to individual.