Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts.Reason: Politicians and other government experts are more informed and thus have better judgment and perspective than do members of the general public.Write a

Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts.

Reason: Politicians and other government experts are more informed and thus have better judgment and perspective than do members of the general public.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based

In contemporary society the idea that major policy decisions should always be made by government officials who are better informed and thus have better judgment than do general public has become widespread. Although, I can see the reasons of this stance, I cannot concur with it owing to the reasons which will be discussed in more details below.

To begin with, perhaps, no one will deny that government experts have expertise and knowledge which make their decisions about some situations and events better than public's ones. In many cases, when we have a deal with justice system, economics or international affairs, it is reasonable to allow politicians and other government’s experts to make thoughtful decisions. For instance, in the middle east we have an issue with Iranian Nuclear program, recently the sanctions which were imposed on the countries have been removed. The decision was drawn by experts in the field and perhaps, this decision should be based on their judgment because only experts who have access to information and have expertize are able to estimate the truly danger of the program. This example illustrate that the claim at least partly correct. However, may we aver that all decisions ought to be made by those government officials?

The answer on this question is definitely "no" because some decisions should not be made by a small group of people, in particular, when the aftermaths of the decisions will inescapably impact on general population. To illustrate this type of decisions we may take a look at recent history of Russian Federation. After the USSR ceased its existence, a new state was created - Russia. The state needed a new constitution which should be approved by a referendum. The constitution is the main and central law of any country and therefore its acceptance will inevitably influence lives of whole population. This kind of decisions should be supported by the majority of citizens as an approval of it; perhaps, a group of people should not have such enormous power which allows them to approve a constitution by themselves. In other words, the illustration demonstrates that not all decisions should be made by expert.

Finally, the claim has a hidden problem which is not seen at the first glance. Government is servants of people and their job is to satisfy needs of majority, the claim may lead to increasing of tension between government experts and demos; in case, all decisions are made by officials who are disconnected with public's intentions and mood, we may have tensions which often lead to revolutions and riots. Perhaps, a recent example of this situation is Ukraine where government lost connections with its electorate and acted mindlessly. Likely, the best illustration of proper interaction between people and their government when we speak about making decision is that citizens of a state generate a direction for state’s actions and development and the work of government's experts is to organize movement to the pointed direction. For the sake of illustration we may look at the example about Russian constitution. People want to have liberties and freedoms and organize a democratic society, in this case, government officials with knowledge and access to information ought to create a constitution which is reflected public’s decision. This action will lead to success. By contrast an attempt to impose democracy on the population may not lead to expected results as Iraq’s case has demonstrated.

In conclusion, although I agree with the reason I disagree with the claim because experts’ opinion and knowledge is important for making decisions but not all decisions might be made by a relatively small group of people which may have its own biased interests. I deeply believe that general public’s opinion is important for organizing of state’s affairs in general and experts’ work is to realize public’s decisions the best way possible.

-------------
arguments: OK
-------------