Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Educational institution, most especially the higher educations, have the responsibility of guiding students in making choices about their field of study; however, they do not have the responsibility to dissuade the students from pursuing any field. More than likely in today’s world, students coming into the higher institution are about eighteen years old, therefore they are matured enough to make a decision on what major to pursue or not. At the same time, each student is aware of his intellectual capability as to where they can succeed or not. Moreover, individual’s right to decision making must be respected by the educational institution. Therefore, it is not the responsibility of the educational institution to dissuade students from pursuing any field for any reason.

In the United States today, the average age of college freshman is 18 years old and above. At such, at this age, each student is equipped with what it takes to make a sound decision about his choice of career. The best an educational institution can do is to show the student the diverse careers available and leave the decision making process to each of the student. Take for instance, a student that dreams to become a physician, at first, the student might not seem to be prepared enough for the assiduous task of becoming one. However, with rigors of training and teachings, such a student will better value the trainings and might evolve as a better candidate or drop out of the school. The choice is for the student to make. However, if the school decides to talk the student out of the program without the initial trial, the student might not learn the necessary lesson he needed along the way. In some instances, the student might blame the school for not giving him a chance to try at that particular field he was dissuaded from doing.

Secondly, every student is well aware of the extent of academic stress he can handle depending on his capacity. This knowledge should guide each student to making the right choice. It is the sole responsibility of the student and perhaps the relatives to dissuade a student from pursuing a field of study. College advisor can do no more than advise. It is still the prerogative of the student to take actions.

Finally, each student has the right to pursue what he wishes to and at such, educational institution must respects such a right. Dissuading a student from following his choice will be a way of encroaching his right. Right to freedom is one of the amendments in the US constitution. Talking a student out of his field of study, probably because he is not doing well in it, is not the role of the school. A better way to intervene is to offer ways to do better. The school might support the student in other ways, like scholarships and aids. However, pursuing the field or not absolutely should come from the student’s volition.

In view of the aforementioned points, educational institution can at best points out to students the fields available in the institution, give examination and assessment to measure progress. However, the role of dissuading student from pursuing fields of study that they might not succeed at is not the institution’s because the students are matured enough to know their capabilities and they have individual right to their choices. Dissuading a student from pursing his chosen field will not benefit the student or the school on the long run.

educational institution must respects such a right
educational institution must respect such a right

Write the essay in 30 minutes.

Some duplicate words or sentences. Look: