If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yo

If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Pursuing a hefty goal is extremely admirable in the eyes of other people, at least on the outside. However, the activities and tasks performed behind the scenes to achieve this goal are not always righteous. While some may argue that one should take any means to attain a certain goal, it is clear that regardless of the nature of the goal, the path taken to achieve it can be highly pernicious or legally immoral. I believe that the attainment of a goal should be just and humane, and any other detrimental or illegal paths of attainment should not be justifiable.

Reaching for a goal that results in the harm of others should certainly not be commended. It is unfair for the happiness of one person to arrive at the expense of many others. Through history, we have had many leaders and dictators that the world is not proud of. Adolf Hitler is still known to be one of the more notorious individuals in world history, due to his inhumane treatment of various ethnic groups that he deemed inferior. Hitler was surprisingly a decorated veteran of World War I and desired to seize control of Germany. The tactics he used in an attempt to gain total power were horrendous. He executed anyone who got in the way of his authoritative regime or leadership and established cruel concentration camps for Jewish people because of his highly discriminatory and sadistic nature. Despite Hitler's perceived determination and persistence, his actions are sickening. Such achievement should not be pursued if it compromises the well-being and rights of others.

Another reason unjustifiable actions towards achieving a goal include anything that is illegally used to bolster one's success. Consider the Watergate scandal during the Nixon administration in the twentieth century. Particular members of the Nixon administration sought to gain greater authority. They did not go about this the correct way, as they immorally seized inside knowledge from other official. The administration unlawfully invaded the privacy of anyone whom they considered suspicious by bugging their offices, along with many other illegal pursuits. Intelligence agencies and other government organizations caught the act and deemed it to be a huge abuse of power by certain members of the Nixon administration. These dishonorable members of the administration may have extolled their goal for its caliber or distinction, however the means by which they pursued such authority was ruled dishonest and wrong by the courts and caused them to receive prosecution. Such goals or achievements should not be pursued if it goes against the very government under which most proceedings and national functions operate.

On the contrary, many will assert that it is laudable and meritorious for one to push all frontiers in order to achieve a goal. However, it is only exemplary if one can achieve a worth goal through principles and incorruptible actions. Hitler's totalitarian manner and the Watergate scandal involving Nixon's presidency exemplify the boundaries that should not be crossed to achieve a certain goal that may be subjectively worthy. It is evident from these reasons and examples present in history that a seemingly worthy goal should not be pursued if it involves means that are detrimental to others or lawfully dishonest.