Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and

Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The majority of the great discoveries or creations are outcomes of purposed-driven experiments and professional knowledge rather than chance as claimed in the statement. I therefore disagree with the claim.

Discoveries or creations usually result in deliberate plans and research. To test a certain hypothesis and look for the answers, people plan towards the possible results that they predict or hope for. To get the optimal results, they will control the involved variables to favor the plan. To put it simply, the whole process if designed to make sure they are in the right direction to their intended results. Take Edison invented the light bulb. He had more than 1000 times of trials. He chose the possible materials for the experiments, narrow down the possible choices, better control different factors that caused the experiments to fail. He finally succeeded. This is how many discoveries and creations happen—by well-planed research process rather than by chance.

In addition, many great discoveries are results of “standing on the shoulders of giants.” In any field, very often people are greatly influenced by the past achievements, which paved way for many significant discoveries or creations. For example, in the field of Physics, tremendously influenced by Galileo’s theory of falling bodies and Kepler’s laws of planetary motion, Isaac Newton discovered gravity when he saw a falling apple thinking about the natural force between all objects. And then, building upon the laws of Newton, Albert Einstein developed The General Theory of Relativity which explains a number of phenomena which would otherwise violate Newton’s theory. Look at the chain of momentous discoveries, none of them is accidental. As we can see, past contributions, rather than chances, play a vital role in new discoveries or creations.

Admittedly, some great discoveries or creations are surprises while we are pursuing answers to other questions. However, they are not exactly accidental. Without the professional knowledge, acute perceptiveness, and well-displayed situation. The accidental discoveries and creations will not happen. Viagra is a perfect example for this point. Viagra was accidently discovered by the scientists at Pfizer Laboratories in 1998 while testing a drug for the treatment to a heart disease. If they were not professionals and the test were not conducted intentionally with controlled variables. The little blue pill would not be discovered at that time. So, chance does not have much room in important discoveries or creations.

In conclusion, some creations and discoveries are known as accidental. However, as argued above, they happened due to certain conditions. It is therefore not totally due to chance. On the other hand, without purposed-driven and well-planned experiments by experts, we would not have many creations or discoveries left.

The arguments are not exactly matching the topic. May need a little bit change the expressions like this one:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/many-important-discoveries-or-cre…