"People most respect the powerful not when they exercise their power, but when they refrain from exercising it."Write an essay in which you develop and support a position on the statement above. In writing your essay, you should consider both when the sta

"People most respect the powerful not when they exercise their power, but when they refrain from exercising it."
Write an essay in which you develop and support a position on the statement above. In writing your essay, you should consider both when the statement may be true and when it may be false.

By definition itself, one can say that Respect is something which is earned not imposed like taxing the country.While some may refute that Military regimes are the best example where respect to higher official is part of the job because of stringent rubriks of hierarchy which is followed. Whom would we respect a military dictator whos only obsession is to complete the task at any cost even if it is not acceptable to his own people or a visionary leader who takes a compassionate stand and stands in front to get things done by convincing and involving his own regime. Who will earn your respect ?

Although there will be no paucity of respected leaders in the history, The name Gandhi will flash the mind when it comes to confluence of power and respect. In early 20th century when Genral Dyer open fired on peaceful rally going on in Amritsar which will be remembered for its inhuman practice of power where as Gandhi retaliated with a peaceful rally called non co-operation movement, unremittingly supported by the whole country. Genral Dyer's stand was questioned all over the world where as Gandhi has earned respect for his stand and renowned as 'Mahatma' means great soul.

Despite the fact that many military imposes the echelon in which one is taught to respect and should have a blind faith in the higher command. Even this is practiced through out the history, it is done to avoid the chaos in the desperate hour of need. But such practices should not and can not be practiced in the modern world, which need to respect every opinion to encourage innovation and best ideas to flourish and make way for the future. In long terms these practices create instability and hinder involvement of every individual in developing society, so practice of power not only lose respect among the people but it also social unstability, Perhaps fall of communism in USSR after a military led communist rule is evidence of that.

Based on bulk of the evidence, wheather it is gandhi's retaliation to Genral Dyer attrocity or Unstability of military regime in the modern social life, only inference can be made is that Practice of power will not earn any respect, in fact respect can only be earned from refraining from power and having compassion for people.

Sentence: Based on bulk of the evidence, wheather it is gandhi's retaliation to Genral Dyer attrocity or Unstability of military regime in the modern social life, only inference can be made is that Practice of power will not earn any respect, in fact respect can only be earned from refraining from power and having compassion for people.
Error: wheather Suggestion: whether
Error: attrocity Suggestion: atrocity