Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be

Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Are scandals useful for our society owing to the fact that they are able to concentrate public attention on grave problems which otherwise will be neglected? As far as I am concerned no simple answer on this question exists; however, I strongly believe that they have rather negative effect than positive one due to the nature of the attention which they invoke in us.

First of all, scandals' power is its ability to summon emotional response on unfair situation. From this viewpoint, it is a fact that scandals focus our attention on the issue in a specific way. However, this scandals' characteristic leads to negative aftermaths such us riots, confrontations with officials and chaos. For instance, a recent scandal when a white police officer shot to death unarmed black teenager leads to people's protest. They were outraged because of officer's deeds which were not punished properly. Public attention was focused on this race issue which many politicians try to avoid in their speeches. It might have led to a positive change in officials attitude to the problem and thus it perhaps could have been solved but unfortunately, people who clustered in crowds to demonstrate their disagreement with police officials actions were guided by emotions and thus the protests turned into riots when these people, who tried to demonstrate that government is mistaken in its position toward black Americans, started looting and plundering and thus buttressed officials’ position. In other words, despite the possibility that scandals may be seen by public as useful tool, it has rather deteriorating effect on the problematic issue.

Of course, someone may assert that scandals sometimes may be extremely useful in particular in controlling government's actions. For instance, the Congress of the USA allowed state's security service surreptitiously collect personal data via internet services. The scandal which was initiated by WikiLeaks made this fact well-known by public and these unlawful actions were ceased. However, will this scandal have this positive effect in case some politicians would not support this claim? I do not think so. In other words, a scandal itself has rather destructive nature which should be guided by elected officials. From this point of view, scandals are useful.

In conclusion, many of us tend to believe that scandals are unquestionably useful for our society but I highly cast doubt on this belief. Due to the nature of the reaction which scandals invoke in people's hearts, they lead to chaos and disorder. However, if the public emotions are led by a leader such as Martin Luther King, the scandals may bring benefits for our society.

The style of your arguments is good.

----------------------