Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Higher education is gaining momentum and is highly regarded among people all over the world. Students who specialize in their chosen field must exercise great efforts to come up with flying colors. Competition in the job market has risen to the global levels with technology advancing by leaps and bounds. Whether universities must require every student to study an array of courses not pertaining to his field, is a contentious issue. A stand can be taken on this issue only after a scrupulous analysis.

Firstly, the Professors at the universities expect their students to be highly motivated in their fields of study. Indeed, motivation does not come all by itself. It emerges out of immense interest in the chosen field. However, taking the same kind of classes pertaining to the field of study alone, can be boring to the students. Hence, they have to spice up their regular classes with those classes not directly relevant to their field of study. For example, a person doing an Engineering degree can take up a course in Management, to have a good mix so as to avoid feeling bored. It is intriguing and fascinating to venture out into a field not so much relevant to the concerned field. Therefore, taking additional courses from other fields of study indirectly urges one to spend balanced time among all the courses and thus ensure flexibility.

Secondly, the courses taken outside of one's field of study can help him in the long run. For instance, a student majoring in Information Technology can take up a Business oriented course. If he is profusely driven by this course, then he can even think of starting a new business venture or pursue his higher studies in the field of Management and Information Sciences. These kind of courses also help students to do part-time work and earn money. For instance, a Science graduate can take up courses in technical writing and spruce up his writing skills. This may make him eligible to work as a technical writer part-time or in free-lancing mode. Thus, changing majors and earning money from part-time works are the other advantages that arise out of choosing courses from other fields.

Time and resources required to run these additional courses in the universities are surely of a major concern. Due to this reason, some may not prefer the introduction of additional courses. In reality, however, if the universities allocate addition resources to facilitate the conduct of these courses, then the students will be highly successful and it would indirectly enhance the reputation of the concerned university. Some others might state that taking up additional courses diverts one attention and puts unnecessary burden on the part of students. But, these types of courses are sure to make a person an all-rounder and teach him to manage doing multiple tasks. Above all, in this globalized world, all fields are interdependent and it is always good to know about the other fields of study.

Thus, if universities require every student to take up a variety of courses outside the student's field of study, it will confer them lots of advantages: well-balanced work load, shift in the career-path, opportunities for part-time work, developing the overall personality. "Known is a drop; Unknown is an ocean", goes a popular saying. Thirst for knowledge and never be quenched and it is the responsibility of the universities imparting education to do as much as possible. Though it might take some time for the universities to execute this recommendation, once they get used to it, then the students are sure to reap benefits in their latter life.

One specific example is enough for one reason.