We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position

We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The author alleges that we can learn more from people whose opinions consist with us rather than people who hold the viewpoints contradict our own. However, in my view the statement goes too far. The author fails to consider about the unexpected advantages of exchanging ideas with people who against you. In the contrary, although the allegation may be true, it must depend on the circumstances.

At first glance the statement appears compelling. People who share the same views with each other can reach to consensus more quickly and start the discussion more fluently. For example, as working in an exhibition planning group, if the group members are in agreement with the coordinator, people can save the time for arguing. Under the circumstances, people can speak out their own opinion without fears and make the ideas accumulated more quickly. With a myriad of ideas, group can plan for the exhibition with ideas that are more diverse and miscellaneous.

However, while a group of people always share the same idea, they may easily circumscribe themselves. It may bring to counterproductive results if we never try to get along with people who hold the opposite views with us. For example, people are told to cultivate their ability of critical thinking in order to adapt the capricious society nowadays. However, in this generation, with a diversity of mass media, people should soak up different knowledge and viewpoints through different medium. Newspaper, radio, news from different television and political talk show may have different viewpoints toward a society issue. People can learn more and analyze the pros and cons on different ideas.

Lastly, brainstorming is an important procedure when a group of people are trying to solve a problem. Generally, there won’t be only one solution for a predicament. While people only try to work with others who hold the same views with them, problem will never be solved if their solution is wrong. Diversity of ideas can inspire more notions, helping people to think more and come up with a nearly flawless strategy. The value of a think tank is incalculable.

In sum, I agree that we can learn more from the people who share the same views as us than from the people whose views discord with our own. Nevertheless, whether it is always true muse be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

people who against you
people who are against you