UK visa: Changes in language testing

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 03/29/2015 - 19:33

The UK government has announced important changes to language testing for visa applications.

According to a press release issued by the British Council in Bengaluru, under the new arrangements, IELTS tests for UK visa applications will be offered throughout the year in more than 100 key locations across the world. Also, a new test called the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Life Skills – will be introduced. This is for people who need to prove only their speaking and listening skills at level A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

IELTS, the popular English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration, has been approved for all UK visas that require applicants to provide proof of their language proficiency.

IELTS tests for visa purposes can only be taken at authorised centres and the centre must follow procedures specified by the UK government.

Those applying for a Tier 4 student visa to a Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS), for a bachelor or postgraduate degree are required to meet the English language proficiency level set by the institution. All British universities and colleges accept IELTS results. This means, students can apply with the IELTS result from any of the 1,000 IELTS test locations worldwide unless their institution has additional requirements, the release said. To see the test locations, log onto: www.ielts.org  

Article references
www.deccanherald.com