Advances in science and technology have made great changes to lives of ordinary people but artists such as musicians painters and writers are still highly valued What can the arts tell us about life that science and technology cannot

‘‘Advances in science and technology have made great changes to lives of ordinary people, but artists such as musicians, painters and writers are still highly valued. What can the arts tell us about life that science and technology cannot?’

Science and technology allow society to continuously come up with inventions that help mankind and they are still developing at a high speed. However, some people believe that many forms of art that have been in existence for many years should be more highly valued than science and technology as they have unique values. This essay explores the benefits of the arts that people cannot gain from science and technology.

Firstly, there are concepts such as feelings, emotions and inspiration that come from the arts, whereas science and technology cannot offer them due to its focus on practicality. For example an audience can indirectly experience and have a feeling of melancholy from listening to Beetoven’s pieces which were composed while he was suffering from unfortunate events. In contrast, science cannot offer this because it cannot deliver the same kinds of feelings.

Moreover, some forms of art get people to think about themselves and help them connect the artwork to reality. For instance, some people may take a visit to a photo exhibition on a topic of a daily life of children in the third world because it makes them think about how fortunate their life is compare to theirs and appreciate what is given to them. Again, pure science and technology cannot offer this opportunity because its concept is based on structures, formulas and the process of trial-and-error.

There is no doubt that science and technology is essential to our lives and it plays a large role in the 21st century. However, there are many other intangible aspects people cannot gain from it but can from the arts that include feelings and inspiration. Therefore, it is crucial to not undervalue the arts and preserve it for the benefits it has.

Sentence: Therefore, it is crucial to not undervalue the arts and preserve it for the benefits it has.
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a negator
Suggestion: Refer to to and not