You are hereThe advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

The advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

Sabee's picture

By Sabee - Posted on 15 May 2013

These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children’s growth. However, others contend that this trend has detrimental side effect on young individual. This essay will discuss both positive and negative outcome of these two measures.

With the respect to the positive effect, computer game and television are playing crucial role in the development of the children’s mental abilities. For instance, popular computer games use abstract and high level of cognitive skills. As a result, in order to winning those game children need to follow the instruction and use some logic. Similarly, there are many educational and informative channels available such as history, science, and discovery. Young individual are learning about different cultures, human body and wild life from the beginning. Those examples clearly show that there are tremendous advantages of computer and television.

However, concerns have been raised about the prolific use of computer games and watching television. Most of the computers games are contain violence. The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people. Furthermore, children are playing and watching hours and hours. As a result, they are wasting their time on unnecessary things and not concentrating on their studies. In addition, today, children are suffering obesity and weigh gain problems due to sedentary lifestyle. They are not participating in physical activities because of computers and televisions. Parents need to take some steps to mitigate this potential problem. They can set limits on the length of the time games are played, and government can band the violent games and increase channels that are more informative.

In conclusion,both arguments have merits, there are benefits of computer and television, but there are some disadvantages too. If parents and government take precaution, the severity of negative impacts can be avoided.

The greatness of an individual can be decided only by those who live after them not by their contempories. yogi
Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. ambarish55 sticky icon
In many countries, children are engaged in some kind of paid work. Some people regard this as completely wrong, while others consider it as valuable work experience, important for learning and taking responsibilities. Discuss. marzieh
IELTS essay:Pattern sentence for body part sheppard
Children are learning things by watching TV and movies. What are advantages and disadvantages of this method? Give reasons and examples. marzieh
At present, science has been developing at a high speed, but people still have a high opinion of artists. What can the arts tell us of the life that science cannot? broerjuang
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.The graph below shows the quantities of goods transported in the UK between 1974 and 2002 by four different modes of transport.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make Dilbar sticky icon
Nowadays the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology. In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make? Has this become a positive or negative development? arman665
People who have original ideas are of much greater value to society than those who are simply able to copy the ideas of others well.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? marzieh
Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries. Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages?Give reasons for your answer, and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experi amelia

Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Some people argue that cars should be banned in city centres while others are against this idea. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion. Rahi IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
The pie chart shows the amount of money that a children's charity located in the USA spent and received in one year.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. raman nmbrbar sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think women should be allowed to join the army, the navy and the air force just like men. To what extent do you agree or disagree? eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Some think that these environmental problems are too big for individuals to be solved, while others think that individuals cannot solve these environmental problems unless governments make some action. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Kiran Makkar IELTS
Is ambition is a positive or negative characteristic? Is it necessary for success? Tessy James sticky icon IELTS

Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
Essay topic:Most of big cities are overpopulated. Why do people still move to big cities? Give your opinion and example. Miachel IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I

Performance of four different sectors in India between 2000 to 2010 simranvirk sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The diagram below shows the Australian Bureau of Meteorology collects up-to-the-minute information on the weather in order to produce to reliable forecasts. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The graph below shows the changes in food consumption by Chinese people between 1985 and 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I

Sentence: These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children's growth.
Suggestion: Refer to computers and game

Sentence: Most of the computers games are contain violence.
Suggestion: Most of computer games contain violence.

Sentence: The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.
Suggestion: The problem of those games is that they are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.

Some sentences are not developed smoothly.

Put a space after punctuation marks. E-rater is sensitive.