You are hereThe advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

The advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

Sabee's picture

By Sabee - Posted on 15 May 2013

These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children’s growth. However, others contend that this trend has detrimental side effect on young individual. This essay will discuss both positive and negative outcome of these two measures.

With the respect to the positive effect, computer game and television are playing crucial role in the development of the children’s mental abilities. For instance, popular computer games use abstract and high level of cognitive skills. As a result, in order to winning those game children need to follow the instruction and use some logic. Similarly, there are many educational and informative channels available such as history, science, and discovery. Young individual are learning about different cultures, human body and wild life from the beginning. Those examples clearly show that there are tremendous advantages of computer and television.

However, concerns have been raised about the prolific use of computer games and watching television. Most of the computers games are contain violence. The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people. Furthermore, children are playing and watching hours and hours. As a result, they are wasting their time on unnecessary things and not concentrating on their studies. In addition, today, children are suffering obesity and weigh gain problems due to sedentary lifestyle. They are not participating in physical activities because of computers and televisions. Parents need to take some steps to mitigate this potential problem. They can set limits on the length of the time games are played, and government can band the violent games and increase channels that are more informative.

In conclusion,both arguments have merits, there are benefits of computer and television, but there are some disadvantages too. If parents and government take precaution, the severity of negative impacts can be avoided.

Ekhlas US / Iraq

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

Discuss the causes and some effects of widespread drug use by young people in modern day society. Make any recommendations you feel are necessary you feel necessary to help fight youth drug abuse. Azizkhan
Some people say that the teaching method with a teacher and students in a classroom will not exist by the year 2050.To what extend do you agree or disagree? Bustanul Arifin
The graph and table below give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparison where relevant. Fardhani Dwi Ar...
Even though people read news using the internet now a days, news paper still are an important source of information for the general public. Do u agree or disagree with given statement? jayreddy519
In some countries, old age is valued, while, in others, youth is emphasized. Which view point do you agree with? Justin sticky icon
Write a letter to your manager and ask for his/her comments regarding the article, which will be published in a famous magazine next month. In this letter, you should say- What have you written the article about?- Why did you write it?- What makes it so s marzieh
The graph below shows the consumption of fish and some different kinds of meat in European country between 1979 and 2004 Lienk
Some people say that success is ’10 percent talent and 90 percent hard work’.Is hard work the key to success, or is talent also important? fikri
In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this. maryam2900
Writing Task 1 (at least 150 words)The graphs below provide information on global population figures and figures for urban populations in different world regions. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons w amelia

Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
Nowadays an increasingnumber of people changetheir career and place ofresidence several times duringtheir life. Is this a positive ora negative development? Justin
The three pie charts below show the changes in annual spending by a particular UK school in 1981, 1991 and 2001. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
Many young people change their jobs and careers. What are the reasons for this? Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Lê Kim Kiều Anh
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
The private modern vehicle has greatly improved individual freedom of movement. Moreover, it has become a status symbol. Its use though has impacted negatively on city centres as a whole. What are some serious problems brought about by private motor vehic satyakrishna23
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.A friend of yours is going on holiday soon and has asked you to recommend a destination. eddysuaib
some parent believe that watching and paying computer games should be limited and subtitled by reading books.do you agree or disagree? rahele
In many countries school-age children are spending their free time in doing homework. Is it a good or bad thing? What is your own opinion? Give examples to support your view. marzieh

Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? shi24 sticky icon
Recycling is a pointless activity, it is fraught with inefficiency. Governments need to develop policies to tackle waste and other issues at source. Farkhad
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? white_eagle@live.cn
Many people think that money brings hapiness,others think that having too much money is a probelem.discuss both views and give your own opinion? gurtej sidhu
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
A governemnts role is only to provide defence capability and urban infrastructure, such as roads, water and power. All other services such as education, health and social security should be provided by private groups or indviduals in the community? To wh satyakrishna23
You are going to help your friend's child to teach lessons. Write a letter to a teacher you know and borrow some books.1. Explain about the child in details.2. When and where to teach3. Mention about the books you want to borrow. swapnay

The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projections for 2050Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Shokh sticky icon

Sentence: These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children's growth.
Suggestion: Refer to computers and game

Sentence: Most of the computers games are contain violence.
Suggestion: Most of computer games contain violence.

Sentence: The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.
Suggestion: The problem of those games is that they are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.

Some sentences are not developed smoothly.

Put a space after punctuation marks. E-rater is sensitive.