You are hereThe advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

The advantages and disadvantages of computers and TV for the mental development of children

Sabee's picture

By Sabee - Posted on 15 May 2013

These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children’s growth. However, others contend that this trend has detrimental side effect on young individual. This essay will discuss both positive and negative outcome of these two measures.

With the respect to the positive effect, computer game and television are playing crucial role in the development of the children’s mental abilities. For instance, popular computer games use abstract and high level of cognitive skills. As a result, in order to winning those game children need to follow the instruction and use some logic. Similarly, there are many educational and informative channels available such as history, science, and discovery. Young individual are learning about different cultures, human body and wild life from the beginning. Those examples clearly show that there are tremendous advantages of computer and television.

However, concerns have been raised about the prolific use of computer games and watching television. Most of the computers games are contain violence. The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people. Furthermore, children are playing and watching hours and hours. As a result, they are wasting their time on unnecessary things and not concentrating on their studies. In addition, today, children are suffering obesity and weigh gain problems due to sedentary lifestyle. They are not participating in physical activities because of computers and televisions. Parents need to take some steps to mitigate this potential problem. They can set limits on the length of the time games are played, and government can band the violent games and increase channels that are more informative.

In conclusion,both arguments have merits, there are benefits of computer and television, but there are some disadvantages too. If parents and government take precaution, the severity of negative impacts can be avoided.

nkrojcoxd Tunisia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

MiguelHomy Bangladesh

Why should the government help working parents by providing child care facilities. Tessy James
People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge).Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. marzieh
The internet is probably the most significant invention of the last 30 years. Without it our lives would be completely different. To what extent do you agree or disagree? tiads
Without capital punishment (the death penalty) our lives are less secure and crimes of violence increase. Capital punishment is essential to control violence in society. Kholid Abdullah sticky icon
Some people prefer to spend their lives doing the same things. Others, however think that change is always a good thing. Discuss both views and give your opinion cncmatthew
We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers.They are used in business,hospitals,crime detection and even to fly planes.What things will they be used for the future?Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of the labbasli
You borrowed a tour guide book from your friend which was very useful. Write a letter and say- Why was it helpful for you?- When will you return this book?- Thank him/her for this guide book. Rahi
You have seen a job advertisement in some newspaper. Write a letter to your friend asking him to consider this job. Please say- Where have you seen the ad?- What is the job description?- Why do you think, he is a suitable candidate for it? Rahi
It is a natural process of animal species to become extinct (e.g. dinosaurs, dodos etc). There is no reason why people should try to stop happening this. Do you agree or disagree. raghavielts sticky icon
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, it is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views sprigidts

Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
Whoever controls the media also controls opinions and attitudes of the people and there is little can be done to rectify this. SammyG
The gap between the rich and the poor is becoming wider, the rich more richer, the poor even more poorer. What problems can the situation cause and give solutions? Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
This is a bar graph of the average age at first marriage of both men and women in the U.S. The red bar stands for women, and the blue bar stands for men. Write a report for a university lecturer conveying the information in the graph. jason
The pie graphs below show the results of a survey of children's activities. The first graph shows the cultural and leisure activities that boys participate in, whereas the second graph shows the activities in which girls participate. eddysuaib
some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents.others,however,believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion gincysusan
Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree? maryam2900

These days, in many countries fewer and fewer people want to become teachers, particularly in secondary schools. What are the reasons for this, and how could the problem be solved? uzboy sticky icon
An increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life time. Is this a positive or negative development. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
Economic progress is one factor that is being considered to measure the success of a country,but there are other factors that should be considered when measuring the success of a country. Do you agree or disagree? What other factors do you think should be Justin sticky icon
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status carmela6
Overpopulation Farkhad
Some say that because many people are living much longer, the age at which people retire from work should be raised considerably. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Rafael
Do you thin business should hire employees who will spend thier entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. the beauty of E... sticky icon
Nowadays the way people many interact with each other have changed because of technology. In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make? Has this become a positive and negative development? satyakrishna23 sticky icon
Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports faculties. Others, However say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. kya

Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
Nowadays an increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or a negative development? Justin sticky icon
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this? Discuss both these views and give your opinion? satyakrishna23 sticky icon
Will computers replace teachers in classrooms?As computers are being used more and more in education, there will be soon no role for teachers in the classroom. parya mirjani sticky icon

Sentence: These days, children are spending more time on playing computers game and watching their favorite shows on television.Some people believe that those two measures have dramatically positive influence on children's growth.
Suggestion: Refer to computers and game

Sentence: Most of the computers games are contain violence.
Suggestion: Most of computer games contain violence.

Sentence: The problem of that those games are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.
Suggestion: The problem of those games is that they are increasing aggression and restlessness in young people.

Some sentences are not developed smoothly.

Put a space after punctuation marks. E-rater is sensitive.