You are hereadvantages and disadvantages of genetic engineering. Discuss

advantages and disadvantages of genetic engineering. Discuss

pierings's picture

By pierings - Posted on 09 June 2012

The development of genetic engineering has increased notably in the last few years. Some people support the investment in this field whereas others are against to. In this essay I shall delve into both sides before forming an opinion.

Genetic engineering is the process of manipulating the genes of an organism. People supporting it use argue that for instance farmers could have crops more resistant to insects and diseases, and many genetically modified crops can grow faster. These advantages can be extremely positive for food production in developing nations where people starve. Faster growing cereals, fruits and vegetables would mean more profit. Moreover, some medicines and vaccines are obtained throw genetic engineering process. An important breakthrough that genetic engineering can bring to society is that some inherited diseases would no longer exist. Some genes can be modified before a baby is born improving its life expectancy. It could be said then that genetic engineering might cure some diseases.

However there are ethical concerns about it use. Some ecologists warn about the disaster consequences to the Earth. They say that genetically modified crops can affect seriously whole ecosystems as the food chain can be broken if crops are more resistant to predators. Furthermore, some people are strongly against to human genetic engineering as parents might want to choose their children's characteristics. They support this argument saying that it would be unnatural and in some religions would be unacceptable. Society an human evolution would change completely.

To sum up, both sides have strong arguments to support their opinions. As far as my opinion is concerned genetic engineering can bring to humans longer and healthier lives. However there is a thin line between what is ethical and what not

Ekhlas US / Iraq

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

Computer technologies are more accessible and cheaper, as the result, more adults work at home and children study at home. Is this a positive or negative development? Mcgarry sticky icon
Task2:Today more people are travelling than ever before.Why is this the case?What are the benefits of travelling for the traveler? devabe2005
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic problems and pollution problems.To what extent do you agree or disagree?What other measures do you think might be effective? fialka sticky icon
the two maps below show an island before and after construction of some tourist facilities. summarise the information by selecting and reporting main features and make comparison where relevant.I recently submitted task 2 of cCambridge 9 and would like to hamidrezat
In order to learn language well, we should also learn about the country as well as the culture and lifestyle of people who speak it. To what extent do you agree or disagree? fitriarkham
It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast the knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why? Use specific reasons and example to NewUser sticky icon
in many countries school age children are spending theirfree time in doing homework.is it a good or bad thing?what is your own opinion?give examples to support your view. parry
Some people believe that our happiness depends on how much money we have. Others say that ‘money cannot buy happiness’. Do you think that having money is the key to happiness, or are there more important factors? Give reasons for your answer and include a avista_nada
The pie chart below shows the main reasons why agricultural land becomes less productive. The table shows how these causes affected three regions of the world during the 1990s. Summarize the in formation by selecting and reporting the main features, and m farizasl
the two maps below show an island, before and after the construction of some tourist facilities zha

Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
tourism place in our townMiemie and Randayan Island yeran zeal
some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents.others,however,believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion gincysusan
The climograph below shows average monthly temperatures and rainfall in the city of Kolkata. eddysuaib sticky icon
The graph below shows the percentage change in the nubmer of international students graduating from universities in different Canadian provinces between 2001 and 2006.-alam-(re-write) eddysuaib
The table below gives information about the underground railway systems in six cities fialka
Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.You have just spent a weekend at a friend’s house. When you returned home, you discovered you have left a coat containing some belongings in his house.Write a letter to your friend telling him that you left t eddysuaib sticky icon
what are the causes of road accidents? how can we overcome this? Inderjeet Gill

Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? shi24 sticky icon
Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
Recycling is a pointless activity, it is fraught with inefficiency. Governments need to develop policies to tackle waste and other issues at source. Farkhad
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? white_eagle@live.cn
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
Many people think that money brings hapiness,others think that having too much money is a probelem.discuss both views and give your own opinion? gurtej sidhu
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon

The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projections for 2050Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Shokh sticky icon

Sentence: However there is a thin line between what is ethical and what not
Description: A noun, singular, common is not usually followed by an End of sentence
Suggestion: Refer to not