You are hereadvantages and disadvantages of genetic engineering. Discuss

advantages and disadvantages of genetic engineering. Discuss

pierings's picture

By pierings - Posted on 09 June 2012

The development of genetic engineering has increased notably in the last few years. Some people support the investment in this field whereas others are against to. In this essay I shall delve into both sides before forming an opinion.

Genetic engineering is the process of manipulating the genes of an organism. People supporting it use argue that for instance farmers could have crops more resistant to insects and diseases, and many genetically modified crops can grow faster. These advantages can be extremely positive for food production in developing nations where people starve. Faster growing cereals, fruits and vegetables would mean more profit. Moreover, some medicines and vaccines are obtained throw genetic engineering process. An important breakthrough that genetic engineering can bring to society is that some inherited diseases would no longer exist. Some genes can be modified before a baby is born improving its life expectancy. It could be said then that genetic engineering might cure some diseases.

However there are ethical concerns about it use. Some ecologists warn about the disaster consequences to the Earth. They say that genetically modified crops can affect seriously whole ecosystems as the food chain can be broken if crops are more resistant to predators. Furthermore, some people are strongly against to human genetic engineering as parents might want to choose their children's characteristics. They support this argument saying that it would be unnatural and in some religions would be unacceptable. Society an human evolution would change completely.

To sum up, both sides have strong arguments to support their opinions. As far as my opinion is concerned genetic engineering can bring to humans longer and healthier lives. However there is a thin line between what is ethical and what not

Ekhlas US / Iraq

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

The graphs below show the number of men and women in full and part-time employment in Australia between 1973 and 1993.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. mrmo2610 sticky icon
The graph below shows the changes in maximum number of Asian elephants between 1994 and 2007.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. leki55555
Children’s leisure activities must entirely be educational. Do you agree or disagree ? Tessy James sticky icon
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.Write about the following topic:It has been argued that globalization has been of unquestionable benefit to the world and that the people who criticize it stand in the way of progress.To what extent do you ag lynmelissa
More and more people claim that modern work patterns are a source of stress. What do you think are the cause of this? Can you suggest some possible solution? D O N
Hydro-electric Power Generation indah_hai
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, it is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person. anastasia.maria...
The table below shows information about travelling to work in one US city.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Sekar Hanafi
Nowadays people becoming parents later in life. Some think it is not a good development for the family and for the country. Do you agree or disagree with it? Give your own opinion. reader
All people glorify and enthusiastically talk about human virtues and morality yet few people actually live up to them. What is your opinion? Do you agree or disagree? zohreh1360

Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
The gap between the rich and the poor is becoming wider, the rich more richer, the poor even more poorer. What problems can the situation cause and give solutions? Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
The pie graphs below show the results of a survey of children's activities. The first graph shows the cultural and leisure activities that boys participate in, whereas the second graph shows the activities in which girls participate. eddysuaib
Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree? maryam2900
Tobacco and alcohol are drugs that cause addition and health problems. Should they be made illegal? Or should all drugs be legalized? marzieh
Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
Why should the government help working parents by providing child care facilities. Tessy James
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents.others,however,believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion gincysusan

Many schools these days have problems with poor student behavior. Why do you think these problems occur? What could be done to tackle these problems tycoonss
These days, in many countries fewer and fewer people want to become teachers, particularly in secondary schools. What are the reasons for this, and how could the problem be solved? uzboy sticky icon
An increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life time. Is this a positive or negative development. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
Economic progress is one factor that is being considered to measure the success of a country,but there are other factors that should be considered when measuring the success of a country. Do you agree or disagree? What other factors do you think should be Justin sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this? Discuss both these views and give your opinion? satyakrishna23 sticky icon
All over the world, societies are facing a growing problem with obesity. This problem affects both children and adults. What are the reasons for this rise in obesity? How it could be tackled? tycoonss
"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon

Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
Do you thin business should hire employees who will spend thier entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. the beauty of E... sticky icon
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
Nowadays an increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or a negative development? Justin sticky icon

Sentence: However there is a thin line between what is ethical and what not
Description: A noun, singular, common is not usually followed by an End of sentence
Suggestion: Refer to not