the diagram below shows a simple system that turns dirty water into clean water

the diagram below shows a simple system that turns dirty water into clean water.

The diagram shows a method for filtering dirty water using a barrel and a drum, a pipe and two taps.

First, the drum and barrel are placed next to each other so that the top of the barrel is higher than the drum. These items are linked by a pipe that runs from bottom of the barrel into the side of the drum. Next, the filter is made by adding sand, charcoal and gravel to the barrel. Finally, a tap is fixed to the bottom of the drum and the top of the pipe.

The process begins when dirty water is poured in to the barrel. After that, the water goes through the filter and up the pipe in to the drum, where it is stored. Then, when the tap in the drum is turned on, clean drinking water comes out.

The system shows how natural materials and basic equipment can be used to produce drinking water in just a few stages.