You are hereIELTS ESSAY- IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL MEDIA ON LOCAL CULTURE.

IELTS ESSAY- IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL MEDIA ON LOCAL CULTURE.

BINUDANIEL20's picture

By BINUDANIEL20 - Posted on 13 October 2011

The exposure to international media has a significant impact on our cultures, what impact does it have on local culture? Do you think its advantage outweighs its disadvantage?

The emergence of international media has changed the face of the earth. It has transformed the world into a global village, where a new uniform culture exists. Today media plays a noteworthy role in the lives of people across the world, however it can be a positive or a negative impact.

Firstly, local culture benefits from international media in myriad ways. Man knowingly or unknowingly has come to trust upon media, for its ideas, views on different issues and so on. For instance, citizens of developing country have started comparing their political leaders to that of developed countries, and have started raising voices if injustice is observed. Moreover, it is only because of the global media that, one has become aware of human rights and has started demanding their privileges. Women in unindustrialized countries have recognized the power of feminism and have adopted it with open hands.

However, there are also many ill-effects of the world media on local culture. Children and teenagers throughout the world, act like clones, dressing up like David Beckham, riding Harley Davidson and other similar things. In adopting the luminous lifestyle of the developed countries, as broadcasted on television, man has come to an extent that he has completely discarded his own culture. To cite few examples, marriage is no longer a lifelong relationship, cohabitation has become a usual thing, and children no longer respect their parents and want to live on their own terms. In addition to this, one of the biggest damage which the international media can do or is done to local culture is, transforming it to materialistic society. This has further widened the gaps between haves and have-nots.

To sum up, international media is like a double edged sword. It has its share of positive and negative impacts. But its benefits outweighs its drawbacks also it depends on us how we can use it for our own benefit.

In the past, buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities through out the world are becoming more and more similar.What do you think is the reason for this, and is it a good thing or a bad thing?Y serene123 sticky icon
It is becoming more and more difficult to escape the influence of the media on our lives.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of living in a media rich society. serene123
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this.Discuss both these views and give your own opinion farhanhar
You are a student at an English language school in Brighton and are living in private accommodation with other flat mates. You have not had hot water or heating for some time. The landlord’s workmen have tried to fix the problem but without success.Write marzieh
The diagram show about why the Vietnamese move to America and how they survive with the war. Dhani Aristya
The idea of having a single career is becoming an old fashioned one. The new fashion will be to have several careers or ways of earning money and further education will be something that continues throughout life. rizqifahma
some people think that government should provide library in every town. with the increase in internet, some people think that new libraries could be a waste of money. discuss you opinions. Angel birdi
It is generally acknowledged that families are now not as close as they used to be.Give possible reasons and your recommendations. You should write at least 250 words. You should spend about 40 minutes on this task. (Study Sample) padma kumari
Children today are not as fit and healthy as in the past. Discuss the causes for this situation with relevant examples and give your opinion on possible solutions. Justin sticky icon
A person's worth nowadays seems to be judged according to social status and material possessions. Old-fashioned values, such as honour, kindness and trust, no longer seem important. Tshewang

Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Whoever controls the media also controls opinions and attitudes of the people and there is little can be done to rectify this. SammyG IELTS
Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? muhammadrezkihr IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views ridaakzar IELTS
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.Write about the following topic:Most developed countries spend a large proportion of their health budgets on expensive medical technology and procedures. This money should be spent instead on health education drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
causes of the road accidents and solutions. Sabee IELTS

Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Topic: Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Other disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both views and give your own opinion.( Sample_answer_salmon) lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Is freedom of speech necessary in a free society? eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II

Some suggest that young people should take a job for a few years between school and university.Discuss what the advantages and disadvantages might be for people who do this.Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowl HoneyUK sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t.Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.Write at least 250 words. eddysuaib sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think that it is beneficial for students to go to private schools, but other people think that it can have a negative effect. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinions. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II