Concerning the issue whether scientists should use living animals for scientific research, people hold different views. Some people claim that it is cruel, while some other people argue that it is beneficial to the development of science. As far as I am concerned, I am in favor of carrying out experiments on animals.

Firstly, scientists can do initial experiments on animals to test the effect of new medicine. Scientists have founded so many milestones on the way to medical development. But they can not find effective treatment to some diseases like cancer and AIDS, which are fatal to people’s health. Through experiments on animals, scientists can not only understand the pathology of some diseases, but also try the effect of medicine and find the most effective treatment to these diseases, making great breakthroughs in the field of medicine.

Secondly, using living animals in the laboratory, the teachers in the university or some research institutes can demonstrate the anatomic knowledge to the students majoring in medicine, rendering students a direct understanding of biological knowledge, which can improve the level of medical research and make great contributions to the medical science. Without experiments on living animals, genetic technology would not have developed so quickly. Actually, most scientists attribute their success and breakthroughs to experiments on animals.

Finally, Some animals can provide human beings with essential organs for transplantation. Genetic technology will change the genes of some animals. In the near future, organs of animals will take the place of artificial organs like heart pumps, prolonging patients’ life.

However, researches on living animals face a moral problem because animals are also creatures in the nature, which possess equal rights as human beings. On second thoughts, it is worthwhile for the purpose to accelerate the development of science and the progress of human civilization. (299 words)