You are hereIncreasing petrol price is the best solution to taffic and pollution problem

Increasing petrol price is the best solution to taffic and pollution problem

BINUDANIEL20's picture

By BINUDANIEL20 - Posted on 11 October 2011

QUESTION:Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve traffic and pollution. What extend do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think more effective?

One of the most demanding situations that the common man is facing, with the rise in petrol prices, is to make both ends meet. While bureaucrats across the world are continuously hiking the fuel price, to control traffic congestion and pollution, there has not been much difference. This essay will disagree with the view that rising gas price is the optimal solution to traffic and pollution problem.

Firstly, to be very precise, the number of cars on a road is directly proportional to the number of affluent families of the country. Thus, it does not make much difference, as these wealthy people will not sacrifice the cosy ambience of their car for few extra currencies. The person who will have to bear this extra cost is the common man, because the rise in petrol price will shoot up the rate of other daily commodities, like transportation, food products, electricity and so on. For instance, in this year itself petrol prices were increased three times, but there is no change in number of cars on the road or the pollution level either.

However, there are several other methods to combat this problem. Government in all countries should impose congestion prices, whereby cars and trucks are hit with higher tolls if they access central urban area in traditionally congested times. Public transportation should be developed further, and this in turn will encourage the community to use it. Engineers and scientists should invent cheaper and cleaner energy sources. For example, cell-powered or solar-powered cars will be a great breakthrough to control environmental contamination.

To put in nutshell, rise in fuel prices will not control traffic and pollution, but will affect poor man. Instead, more efficient energy sources and road taxes should be implemented.