You are hereIncreasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve traffic and pollution. What extend do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think more effective?

Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve traffic and pollution. What extend do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think more effective?

By dinoboy17 - Posted on 04 March 2012

Traffic and pollution are one of the most vital problems in the current century. A lot of governments are trying to implement new policies and create new solutions in order to protect our environment. One of the current existing ideas is to increase the price of petrol. However, the effectiveness of such a measurement is quite questionable.

On one side the society will be forced through soaring petrol prices to use the public transport instead of cars and therefore reduce traffic and pollution. But on the other hand the increasing prices will result in a significant increase in all daily life costs, which may lead to inflation and reduce the quality of life.

Furthermore a lot of people are relying on car on a daily basis where no alternative is available and no public transport is running. These people will have to suffer extremely under the higher petrol price and will be disdavantaged. However, these group of people may be encouraged under these circumstances to use another method of transport like bicycles. These do not cause any pollution and help in improving the well being and health of the society. In some european big cities like Amsterdam a lot of people are using the bicycle as their prefered way of transprtation

Therefore I do not reccommend increasing the price of petrol. I prefer to concentrate in developing car technology to achieve less pollution and rely on other sources of energy that do not harm the environment in the same range as electricity or gas.