In many countries, television shows many foreign-made programs. The dominance of imported entertainment is harmful to the cultures of these countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, there are many foreign-made programs of television shows broadcasted in national television. The dominant entertainment is harmful for local culture of the country.

The statement contradicts the fact in Indonesia. Actually, the television companies in Indonesia are creative to produce high-quality television programs that support culture that support beauty of culture and nature. One of the programs is ‘Wisata Kuliner’ Trans TV. This program presents the variation and special characteristics of Indonesian culinary. The presenter travels around many places, islands and cities to taste the local food and inform the ingredients, tastes, way of cooking and sometimes even philosophical views of the particular menus. Through this show, people can watch and acknowledge their country uniqueness.

Besides culinary, the nature of Indonesia is also popular for the viewers. One of the attractive broadcasts is ‘Bolang’. Bolang is a show where little children from remote areas in Indonesia tell their activities in their free-time after school or in holiday. They usually play in woods around their home. Their games are traditional unlike big city children, like playing gasing (spinning top), swimming in the river, catching fishes or building tree house. They reflect tradition that urbanite neglected. This performance is a good reminder for them.

The existence of cable televisions or paid-view channels initiates the ignorance to culture and environment because they only perform foreign television shows. Many people who subscribe this facility are too overwhelmed by the other cultures in overseas. It is beneficial if they only watch to learn and enjoy entertainment in reasonable limited time, but time overconsumption on watching those channels. People tend to loose appreciation and sensibility on their own culture and identity.

There are many interesting shows provided by television station in each country. It depends on the people on choosing the advantage shows for cultural and environmental awareness.