Millions of people every year move to English-speaking countries such as Australia, Britain or America, in order to study at school, college or university.Why do so many people want to study in English?Why is English such an important international langua

Millions of people every year move to English-speaking countries such as Australia, Britain or America, in order to study at school, college or university.Why do so many people want to study in English?Why is English such an important international language

More than 2700 different languages exist in the world, from this many languages only few of them are popular among people around the world. French, Spanish, Germany and English are the most popular languages of the world, though among these four, English has special popularity. In following I will discuss this special popularity.

There are some factors that make a language popular, such as being inclusive, usefulness and attractiveness. By looking at these factors we understand that English language is the only language that has all these factors at the highest level. Firstly about being inclusive, perhaps it is enough to just mention that in about 54 countries the official language is English, from this point of view no other language is so pervasive. Moreover, some of the most important countries in the world such as USA, Australia and Britain are the English language countries.

Now about second factor which is usefulness. Due to globalization, today more than any other times we people need to be in contact to one another, no matter we live in what continent as long as we believe on globalization and we don’t want to be insulated. Nonetheless, countries are interested in cultural, economic and scientific exchanges, therefore, they need to communicate to one another, hence, I believe we all agree that language is the most important means of communication and as I noted earlier English is the most pervasive language and subsequently, English language would be the most useful language of the world.

Finally, the last but not the least, attractiveness of a language is very important factor for popularity of any language. Regarding to this factor, I personally believe Hollywood due to its influence across the world has a vital role on attractiveness of English language among people. When an individual listens to a Hollywood singer or watches a Hollywood movie he or she wants to learn English language so they would enjoy listening and watching more.