In the past buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities throughout the world are becoming more and more similar What do you think is the reason for this and is it a good thing or a bad thing

In the past, buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities throughout the world are becoming more and more similar.
What do you think is the reason for this, and is it a good thing or a bad thing?

As developing countries such as China and Dubai experience rapid economic development, their major cities need to accommodate an increasing number of skyscrapers and buildings. Due to globalization and the growth of multinationals, the new construction trend has been particularly skewed towards modern structures instead of traditional ones. While this bodes well for businesses and the architectural industry, our cultural heritage has been jeopardized.

To start with, in the process of expanding their footprints across the globe, multinationals ensure that most aspects of their brand are replicated. As such, all buildings belonging to the Hilton hotel group adopt the same architectural design. As a consequence, their customers can indulge in the same experience regardless of their holiday destination.

Moreover, most professions, including architects have embraced globalization. As universities worldwide welcome more international students, they have revamped all their courses to a global standard. Thus, students draw their inspiration from similar buildings, explaining the resemblance in most newly-erected buildings. This skill, in turn, opens doors to an international career. Indeed, the most famous constructions are the product of international collaboration. These include the Sydney Opera House which was designed by a Danish architect.

However, while businesses and workers are able to financially profit from these ventures, our historical landscape is being eroded. Traditional buildings are often torn down to make room for modern ones. In their attempt to please foreign investors and clients, the new owners and developers avoid the display of local culture. This is particularly true of the resorts on the artificial Palm Island in Dubai which are marketed towards foreigners.

To conclude, while these buildings are the sign of economic prosperity, they fail to embody social and cultural development. With countries placing an increasing emphasis on eco-tourism and the uniqueness of their local culture in their aim to lure visitors, it is hoped that buildings will also reflect this trend.