You are hereSample IELTS speaking: preferences (hobbies)

Sample IELTS speaking: preferences (hobbies)

By essayking - Posted on 11 October 2005

68. Do you have a hobby? ( 5 - 8 )
Yes. My hobby is stamp collecting. I have been collecting stamps for the past two years now. That is to say, for two years I have chosen stamp collecting to be my only hobby. I regularly spend time working on my collection. I guess I spend about two hours every week on my hobby. This is mainly over weekends, as I do not have time during the week.

69. Why have you chosen this hobby? ( 5 - 6 )
That’s an interesting question. Allow me to explain myself/my personal views by shortly mentioning the following points: First of all, it’s a very interesting hobby. For example, the stamps from other countries often say something about that country and it’s people.

69. Why have you chosen this hobby? ( 7 - 8 )
First of all, when you collect stamps, you are able to learn more about the world, and you will not be bored easily. What I mean to say is that you can get stamps from every country in the world, and the stamps often say something about that country and it’s people. Secondly, you are able to meet new friends through your hobby. For instance, you have a common interest with someone else, and you can discuss your collections together for many hours. Lastly, the hobby will teach you some self-discipline and how to be very systematic. That is to say, you have to tend to your collection regularly, and you have to sort the stamps according to internationally recognized systems.

70. What are good hobbies, and what are bad hobbies? ( 5 - 8 )
In my opinion, good hobbies are those ones that give you the opportunity to develop a new skill. For example, collecting stamps teaches you to be systematic. Bad hobbies on the other hand may result in you acquiring bad habits. For example, TV and computer games will result in you neglecting your studies.

aman india

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

apastyRag Ethiopia

In many cities crime is increasing. Why do you think this is happening? What can governments do to help reduce crime levels? ankushgurumaa sticky icon
The diagrams below show the stages and equipment used in the cement-making process, and how the cement is used to produce concrete for building purposes.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where rel Nilam
Expenditure on fast foods by income groups,UK 1990 surjeet singh
All people glorify and enthusiastically talk about human virtues and morality yet few people actually live up to them. What is your opinion? Do you agree or disagree? zohreh1360
There are many talented people in the world (e.g singers, actors, sports people), but only a few of the become very famous.who do some talented people become very famous, while others do not?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples f jcp1
In recent years, some countries have experienced very rapid economic development. This has resulted in higher standards of living in urban areas but not in the countryside.This situation might bring some problems for the country as a whole.What are these panji
The number of overweight children in developed countries is increasing. Some people think this is due to problems such as the growing number of fast food outlets. Others believe that parents are to blame for not looking after their children's health.To wh aisha.oab
age distribution of the population in Australia in 1961 and 2031 adventurer
You are living near a public park and the condition of this park is getting worse than before. Write a letter to the park management and say- Why are you interested in this park?- What are the problems you are facing?- What are your suggestions for improv marzieh
Computers and modems have made it possible for office workers to do much of their work from home instead of working in offices every day. Working from home should be encouraged as it is good for workers and employers.Do you agree or disagree?(Re-Write) marzieh

Blood sports have become a hot topic for debate in recent years. As society develops it is increasingly seen as an uncivilized activity and cruel to the helpless animals that are killed. All blood sports should be banned. Discuss the main arguments for th falks405
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer. mikrarlagowa
Creative artists should always be given freedom to express their own ideas (in words, picture, music, film) in whichever way they wish. There should be no government restrictions on what they do.To what extend do you agree or disagree with this statement? D O N
International community must act immediately to ensure all nations to reduce their consumption of fossil fuels e.g gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
Is talent show a good method of finding talented people or just an entertainment? (rewrite) eddysuaib
Economic growth helps to improve the standard of living. However, some researches show that people in developing countries are happy with this trend, whilest people in developed countries are not happy about it. Explain why do you think about it? Tessy James
Some people choose to eat no meat or fish. They believe that this is not only better for their own health but also benefits the world as a whole. Discuss this view and give your own opinion. ligitukas

The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
What are the advantages and disadvantages for children of watching television? Discuss both sides. uzboy
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
Children's education is expensive. In some countries, the government pays some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages? Lê Kim Kiều Anh
In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think? What solutions can you suggest? Justin
Even though globalization affects the world’s economics in a very positive way, its negative side shouldn’t be forgotten. Discuss. Mubariz
Many people believe that media coverage of celebrities is having a negative effect on children.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? Shokh sticky icon
The three pie charts below show the changes in annual spending by a particular UK school in 1981, 1991 and 2001.summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparison where relevant. Shosalim
Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? white_eagle@live.cn

Media portrays young people as lazy and disrespectful.Do u think this true?Are young people today worse than their parents or does ,every new generation get criticized by older people? awais sticky icon
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon
The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon
The diagram below shows career paths in the travel industry. Write a report. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it the responsibility of the governments of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves? carmela6 sticky icon
In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think are the causes and What solutions can you suggest? Justin sticky icon