You are here"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

ashwani1982's picture

By ashwani1982 - Posted on 26 April 2011

What are your views on the question, “Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison?”

Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration. Weather it’s a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens. People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts. I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment. Although, it’s a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.

To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts. Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost. Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.

Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs. For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses. However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.

In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.

Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment. Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.

To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited. It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.

aman india

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

apastyRag Ethiopia

successful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other professions,is this fully justified or unfair anjum shaik
[Work] Some people think young people should be free to choose their job, but other people think that they should be realistic and think more about their future.Discuss both views and give your opinion. jason1911
A gift (such as a camera, a soccer ball, or an animal) can contribute to a child’s development. What gift would you give to help a child develop? Why? Use reasons and specific examples to support your choice cathymorland
The only way to reduce the amount of traffic in cities today is by reducing the need for people to travel from home for work, education or shopping.To what extent do you agree or disagree? MisterWandering
More and more qualified people are moving from poor to rich countries to fill vacancies in specialist areas like engineering, computing and medicine. Some people believe that by encouraging the movement of such people, rich countries are stealing from poo marzieh
The diagrams below show the stages and equipment used in the cement-making process, and how cement is used to produce concrete for building purposes. zhangwei217245
Letter Topic: A friend will visit Beijing. You will meet him at airport. But for some reason, you have to be late. Explain the reason. Since you haven't meet each other, tell the friend where you will meet and how to recognize each other. vicky123 sticky icon
Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject.To what extent do you agree or disagree? fikri
Nowadays the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology. In what ways has technology affected the types of relations people make? has this become positive or negative development? Lienk
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of traveling to a work place every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? maryam2900

Blood sports have become a hot topic for debate in recent years. As society develops it is increasingly seen as an uncivilized activity and cruel to the helpless animals that are killed. All blood sports should be banned. Discuss the main arguments for th falks405
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer. mikrarlagowa
Creative artists should always be given freedom to express their own ideas (in words, picture, music, film) in whichever way they wish. There should be no government restrictions on what they do.To what extend do you agree or disagree with this statement? D O N
International community must act immediately to ensure all nations to reduce their consumption of fossil fuels e.g gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
Is talent show a good method of finding talented people or just an entertainment? (rewrite) eddysuaib
Economic growth helps to improve the standard of living. However, some researches show that people in developing countries are happy with this trend, whilest people in developed countries are not happy about it. Explain why do you think about it? Tessy James
Some people choose to eat no meat or fish. They believe that this is not only better for their own health but also benefits the world as a whole. Discuss this view and give your own opinion. ligitukas

People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
What are the advantages and disadvantages for children of watching television? Discuss both sides. uzboy
Children's education is expensive. In some countries, the government pays some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages? Lê Kim Kiều Anh
In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think? What solutions can you suggest? Justin
You are going to help your friend's child to teach lessons. Write a letter to a teacher you know and borrow some books.1. Explain about the child in details.2. When and where to teach3. Mention about the books you want to borrow. swapnay
Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it the responsibility of the governments of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves? carmela6 sticky icon
Write a letter asking you colleague for assistance with your presentation. Please say- What is the presentation about?- What help do you need with it?- Explain why it is beneficial for everyone. Rahi
In many countries it is easy to apply and to get a credit card. However credit card causes manyu problem is hard to pay back. Do you think the advantages overweigh its disadvantages? supreetkaur

In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think are the causes and What solutions can you suggest? Justin sticky icon
Discuss the advantages and disadvantage of giving aid to poor countries. skeet sticky icon
Many people believe that media coverage of celebrities is having a negative effect on children.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? Shokh sticky icon
Media portrays young people as lazy and disrespectful.Do u think this true?Are young people today worse than their parents or does ,every new generation get criticized by older people? awais sticky icon
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon
The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon
ashwani1982's picture

Hi
Please review the above essay & provide your review comments considering following points:
(1) Spelling mistakes
(2) Grammatical mistakes
(3) Topic coverage
(4) Structure of Essay
(5) Completeness of essay
(6) Sentence formation
(7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS

Sentence: Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Weather it's a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens.
Description: The tag a pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular is not usually followed by a
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to crimes and convicts
Sentence: I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Although, it's a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts.
Description: A preposition is not usually followed by a comma
Suggestion: Refer to with and ,
Sentence: Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.
Description: The word well is not usually used as an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to well
Sentence: Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment.
Description: The word will is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will
Sentence: Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited.
Suggestion: Refer to convicts and families
Sentence: It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.
Description: The fragment order punish criminals is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace punish with verb, past tense

No spelling errors
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: enviornment Suggestion: environment
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: over-burdened Suggestion: over burdened
No spelling errors
Error: aquiring Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: fulfil Suggestion: fulfill
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: nobel Suggestion: noble
Error: prisonment Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: devekop Suggestion: develop
Error: whilst Suggestion: while
No spelling errors

Everything is fine for (3) Topic coverage (4) Structure of Essay (5) Completeness of essay and (6) Sentence formation, i just don't have have any suggestions for you donsidering (7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS.