You are here"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

ashwani1982's picture

By ashwani1982 - Posted on 26 April 2011

What are your views on the question, “Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison?”

Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration. Weather it’s a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens. People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts. I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment. Although, it’s a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.

To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts. Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost. Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.

Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs. For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses. However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.

In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.

Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment. Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.

To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited. It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.

Nowadays, the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology.In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make?Has this become a positive or negative development? farhanhar
To what extend is nuclear technology a danger to life on earth? What are the benefits and risks associated with its use? Azizkhan sticky icon
The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy. The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages. To what extent do you agree or disagree? pietras311
“ Prevention is better than cure.”Out of a country’s health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventative measures.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? friday10042
The position of women in society has changed markedly in the last twenty years. Many of the problems young people now experience, such as juvenile delinquency, arise from the fact that many married women now work and are not at home to care for their chil zha
Ownership of mobile phones has risen dramatically in recetn years despite the potentially harmfull effect they may have on our health and on society. Goverrnments should introduce measures to restrict ownership of mobile phones to those who need them for juro999 sticky icon
NUCLEAR POWER THE BEST ALTERNATIVE SOURCE OF ENERGY OR NOT DOLLY
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projection for 2050. favorite0214
The three diagrams below show the development of, and plans for, the coastal zone of Brightsea. Summarize the information by choosing and reporting the key features, and make any relevant comparisons mikrarlagowa sticky icon
Now days,internet is one of social media that is very important and familiar in the world. Internet brings people of the world closer together.Do you agree or disagree?use examples to support your opinion. budiningsih

Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Universities should accept equal number of male and female student in every subject.To what extent di yiu agree or disagree ? dhruv546 IELTS Writing Task II
Some say that young people are not suitable for decision-making positions in governments; others, however, disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. devabe2005 IELTS Writing Task II
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
Some say that young people are not suitable for decision making positions in governments; others however disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. Blackgold IELTS Writing Task II
We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers.They are used in business,hospitals,crime detection and even to fly planes.What things will they be used for in future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspecious of the dhruv546 IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that national sport teams and individual men and women who represent their country should be financially supported by the government. Others think they should be funded by non-government ways (such as business, scholarship). What is yo Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II

Essay topic:Most of big cities are overpopulated. Why do people still move to big cities? Give your opinion and example. Miachel IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
The pie chart shows the amount of money that a children's charity located in the USA spent and received in one year.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. raman nmbrbar sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
When international media (including movies, fashion shows, advertisements and other TV programmes) convey the same messages to the global audience, people argue that the expansion of international media has negative impacts on cultural diversity. What is skeet sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In some countries children have very strict rules of behaviour,in others countries they are allowed to do almost anything they like.To what extent should children have to follow rules ? dhruv546 IELTS Writing Task II
The diagram below shows the Australian Bureau of Meteorology collects up-to-the-minute information on the weather in order to produce to reliable forecasts. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
There is a disagreement on the impact of increased business and culture contact between countries on a country's identity. What is your opinion? skeet IELTS Writing Task II
News editor decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspaper.What factors do you think influence these decisions?Do we become used to bad news?Would it be better if more good news was reported ? dhruv546 IELTS Writing Task II

Some people think that it is beneficial for students to go to private schools, but other people think that it can have a negative effect. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinions. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Performance of four different sectors in India between 2000 to 2010 simranvirk sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
ashwani1982's picture

Hi
Please review the above essay & provide your review comments considering following points:
(1) Spelling mistakes
(2) Grammatical mistakes
(3) Topic coverage
(4) Structure of Essay
(5) Completeness of essay
(6) Sentence formation
(7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS

Sentence: Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Weather it's a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens.
Description: The tag a pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular is not usually followed by a
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to crimes and convicts
Sentence: I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Although, it's a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts.
Description: A preposition is not usually followed by a comma
Suggestion: Refer to with and ,
Sentence: Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.
Description: The word well is not usually used as an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to well
Sentence: Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment.
Description: The word will is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will
Sentence: Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited.
Suggestion: Refer to convicts and families
Sentence: It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.
Description: The fragment order punish criminals is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace punish with verb, past tense

No spelling errors
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: enviornment Suggestion: environment
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: over-burdened Suggestion: over burdened
No spelling errors
Error: aquiring Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: fulfil Suggestion: fulfill
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: nobel Suggestion: noble
Error: prisonment Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: devekop Suggestion: develop
Error: whilst Suggestion: while
No spelling errors

Everything is fine for (3) Topic coverage (4) Structure of Essay (5) Completeness of essay and (6) Sentence formation, i just don't have have any suggestions for you donsidering (7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS.