You are here"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

"Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison". Comment

ashwani1982's picture

By ashwani1982 - Posted on 26 April 2011

What are your views on the question, “Should people convicted of minor crimes do community service rather than go to prison?”

Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration. Weather it’s a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens. People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts. I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment. Although, it’s a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.

To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts. Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost. Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.

Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs. For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses. However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.

In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.

Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment. Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.

To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited. It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.

The bar chart below shows the estimated sales of jeans for two companies next year in Turkey. The pie chart shows the projected market share of the two companies in jeans at the end of next year. Yora
Modern technology has made it easier for individuals to download copyrighted music and books from the internet for no charge. To what extend is this a positive or a negative development? maryam2900
The line chart below show the growth of defense spending and its percent of GNP in USA. Write a short report for a university lecture describing the changs between 1956 and 1975. jason
Do children behave better when they are rewarded or punished? Discuss both the views and give your opinion. tylerdurden sticky icon
These days Parents are more concerned with their children’s’ up-bringing than before. Taking care of the children seems necessary. Child-care training course for parents can be the best way to update them with this matter. To what extent, do you agree or Do Van Trai
Some people think men and women have different natural abilities that make them suitable for different types of work. Others, however, believe that both men and women can be equally suited to do any type of work. Discuss both views and give your own opini sachini
The exploration and development of safe alternatives to fossil fuels should be the most important global priority today.To what extent do you agree or disagree? MisterWandering sticky icon
The only way to reduce the amount of traffic in cities is by reducing the need for people to travel from home for work, education or shopping.To what extent do your agree or disagree. maryam2900
Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information in the table below. Yora
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? mrmo2610

Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
You have seen a job advertisement in some newspaper. Write a letter to your friend asking him to consider this job. Please say - Where have you seen the ad?- What is the job description?- Why do you think, he is a suitable candidate for it? marzieh IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
Essay topic:Most of big cities are overpopulated. Why do people still move to big cities? Give your opinion and example. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? muhammadrezkihr IELTS Writing Task II
Fast food is becoming a part of our daily life. Some people argue that fast food has negative effects on our lifestyle and diet. Do you agree or disagree. mrmo2610 IELTS
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
The charts below show the results of a survey of adult education. The first chart shows the reasons why adults decide to study. The pie chart shows how people think the costs of adult education should be shared.Summarise the information by selecting and r naresh dubaka IELTS

Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Topic: Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Other disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both views and give your own opinion.( Sample_answer_salmon) lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Fadlanmuzakki IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
As a part of education, students should spend a period of time living in another country to learn its language and culture. Do you agree or disagree? Suraj IELTS Writing Task II

The graph below shows the changes in food consumption by Chinese people between 1985 and 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think that it is beneficial for students to go to private schools, but other people think that it can have a negative effect. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinions. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
General Training Task 1Your assignment was due last week. Write a letter to your teacher saying that you did not complete it on time. In your letter saywhat the subject waswhy you didn't complete itwhen will you complete it. Buweni sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some suggest that young people should take a job for a few years between school and university.Discuss what the advantages and disadvantages might be for people who do this.Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowl HoneyUK sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t.Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.Write at least 250 words. eddysuaib sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
ashwani1982's picture

Hi
Please review the above essay & provide your review comments considering following points:
(1) Spelling mistakes
(2) Grammatical mistakes
(3) Topic coverage
(4) Structure of Essay
(5) Completeness of essay
(6) Sentence formation
(7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS

Sentence: Over the centuries, punishments for different criminals are subject of great consideration.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Weather it's a punishment for a serious crime like murder, or a low intensity crime like abusing a man, there is always a hot debate, among law makers, social workers & layman citizens.
Description: The tag a pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular is not usually followed by a
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: People convicted for minor crimes are treated the same way as for major crimes convicts.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to crimes and convicts
Sentence: I firmly believe, criminals with minor crimes should have a different law & enviornment for punishment.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Although, it's a matter of hot debate, yet I am illustrating some facts.
Suggestion: Refer to it's and a
Sentence: To begin with, a great amount of tax paid by civilized citizens, is utilized to maintain prisons for these convicts.
Description: A preposition is not usually followed by a comma
Suggestion: Refer to with and ,
Sentence: Letting minor convicts to do community jobs, being a part of community, will help to reduce the over-burdened cost.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Furthermore, the saved money can be utilized for well fare of society.
Description: The word well is not usually used as an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to well
Sentence: Secondly, community can be benefited by aquiring & utilizing a free source of human energy to fulfil society needs.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: For example, these convicts can be punished or forced to repair damage roads, provide care to patients in the hospitals, maintain old age homes or orphan houses.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: However, these are possibilities of low quality or service but that can be controlled by providing necessary trainings & supervising their work by authorities.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: In addition, minor crime convicts will be living with their families, as a part of community, which could help them to become nobel citizens of country.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: Last but not least, this technique can help these convicts to devekop the will & strength, to survive in the society after their trial or prisonment.
Description: The word will is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will
Sentence: Enviornment in the prison force or motivate these minor offenders to become real big criminals, whilst having punishment within community can put a barrier for such consequences.
No grammatical errors
Sentence: To summarize it all, I would recommend to enforce this law in near future, so that both community & convicts families as well, can be benefited.
Suggestion: Refer to convicts and families
Sentence: It could be a beginning of new era of humanity, where law & order punish criminals, but with an intention to provide them opportunities & enviornment to become civilized citizens of our nation.
Description: The fragment order punish criminals is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace punish with verb, past tense

No spelling errors
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: enviornment Suggestion: environment
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: over-burdened Suggestion: over burdened
No spelling errors
Error: aquiring Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: fulfil Suggestion: fulfill
No spelling errors
No spelling errors
Error: nobel Suggestion: noble
Error: prisonment Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: devekop Suggestion: develop
Error: whilst Suggestion: while
No spelling errors

Everything is fine for (3) Topic coverage (4) Structure of Essay (5) Completeness of essay and (6) Sentence formation, i just don't have have any suggestions for you donsidering (7) DOs & DONTs for IELTS.