In some countries people who commit less serious crimes are made to undertake community service instead of a prison sentence Some people believe that all people who have committed a crime should be sent to prison Do you agree or disagree

In some countries, people who commit less serious crimes are made to undertake community service* instead of a prison sentence. Some people believe that all people who have committed a crime should be sent to prison.

Do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that people who commit less harmful crimes should be punished to serve their time in prison regardless of seriousness of the crime instead of sentencing to serve as community service. In my opinion, I disagree to that due to below reasons.

To begin with, some people commit crimes which is not harmful to the society seriously such as drink driving or smoking in banned area. Sometimes it has been a grey area whether it is required to classify as a crime. Those actions are not serious and should be sentenced as disciplinary action instead of sending them to jail.

Another reason is some people are not aware of the consequences of their actions such as using drugs in teenage or old woman shop lifted at retail store. Even though those actions are considered as crimes but there are reasons to take into consideration before sentencing them to jail.

In my view, people deserve to have second chance to behave themselves instead of going to jail just for small act they have done without thinking twice. It is unfair for them to be in criminal record if they are willing to repent themselves. However, different countries has different rules and regulations on those small crimes. Stricter country like singapore punished crime like vandalism seriously whereas other countries will just issue with fine.

To summer up, it is not necessary to sentence people into jail just for small crimes but give them a second chance so that they can be a better human to serve the county.