Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm

Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Unfortunately, crime has always been an inevitable part of life and this fact has given rise to the existence of different punishment systems. Considering this fact, opinions are divided as to whether certain factors such as crime lawlessness motivators and situations must be avoided or they must be taken under consideration when penalizing criminals. Since there are strong arguments on behalf of each view, I will attempt to discuss them by and large below.

To begin with, there are particular advantages of fixed penalties. First of all, they provide justice, as in their absence judges can rely on their own subjective opinions when punishing criminals and that can lead to discrimination in the process of judging defendants. Additionally, if there are precisely defined penalties for each crime, it might enable equal conditions for every criminal and although they have made mistakes, they are still human beings and deserve fair attitudes toward them.

On the other hand, it is possible to indicate a lot of arguments to support the essence of motivating elements and the circumstances of crime. As a starting point, the discrepancy between the person who has committed crime for the first time and the one who has done it repeatedly is obvious. Apparently, punishing those people in the same way is not fair at all. Furthermore, some people do bad things on their own will, but the others are obliged to commit such harmful acts, only when they had no other option. Therefore, in order to be objective, it is quite important to take the factors that motivate guilty people into account.

To sum it up, according to my viewpoint, it would be great if, if there were exactly determined penalties for crimes that are not too vital, whereas above mentioned elements were evaluated when penalizing people for more important crimes.