You are hereSome people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example, working for a charity improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children). To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example, working for a charity improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children). To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Azizkhan's picture

By Azizkhan - Posted on 03 May 2013

Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example, working for a charity improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children).
To what extend do you agree or disagree?

It is not a secret that majority of high schools merely concentrate on theoretical teaching methods and they are permanently based on whether there is sufficient funding or not. This type of education is deemed to be flawed and some people suggest high school curricula should necessarily entail serving community without charging. Personally, I agree with their recommendation that free community service should be given foremost consideration at high school.

While doing justice to the motives in stimulating establishment of high school programs which promotes community service without payment, some unarguable facts should not be neglected. Existence and significance of these programs provides accessibility and opportunity for hands-on lessons, for instance, for students who are tired of non-practical lessons. Students, meanwhile, will be educated not to concentrate merely on money. Alternatively, they will learn the importance of human beings’ values before embarking upon their own career.

Another main justification prompting free-of-charge community services at high schools might be rooted in the creation of emotions like patriotism in students. This is primarily because students will comprehend importance of human values and aiding not affluent people. Further and more importantly, practical skills of students will be revitalized albeit they are not very skilled at the initial stage. Consequently, all of these actions contribute to the well-being of a nation.

In the light of these facts outlined above, unpaid community service should be taken as a vital part in high school curriculum. Upsurge in the know-how and the experience will ensue on students’ abilities and they embark on contributing to the well-being of society.