You are hereSome people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake

Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake

alicewei's picture

By alicewei - Posted on 31 March 2012

The fundamental function of universities is a frequent topic when people discuss whether it is the responsibility for universities to teach students to master the knowledge and skills that they will need in work or they just need to offer students courses to learn more knowledge, regardless of its usage to their future work. In my view, teaching students working knowledge and skills is the basic requirement for universities.

To begin with, students need the essential knowledge to get a job after graduating from universities. Nowadays, as the significantly fierce competition in job-hunting than ever before, one without relevant knowledge cannot find a proper job position, while universities are the places where students can prepare this prerequisite. Even if someone is so lucky to get a job, he need the knowledge to fulfill it, otherwise, he will loss it eventually.

On the other hand, the skills for working places, including not only professional skills but also how to learn knowledge, how to communicate with others and the ability to cooperate with colleagues must be mastered by an employee. These abilities are not learnt overnight, while universities have the resources and environment to teach their students these. They can learn the profession knowledge, for example, from teachers and from books in library or they can communicate effectively with people through the experience of spending time with their classmates. All these are not just for their suitable to work, but the necessary capabilities to survive in the world.

Furthermore, if graduates had no idea about the working knowledge, they would have to spend one year or more to master them before their independently working. In other words, this would be a prolonging of their school year because of universities failed to teach them what they should know. Thus, more people will no reluctant to go to universities any more, especially for those who come to universities for the purpose of finding a good job.

All in all, universities must accomplish their job to educate graduates to get prepared, so they can find a job, and better suit to work and life.

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? 240813
The diagrams below show the stages and equipment used in the cement-making process, and how the cement is used to produce concrete for building purposes.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where rel Nilam
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projection for 2050. favorite0214
You and your family are living in a rented accommodation in an English speaking country. you are not satisfied with the condition of some of the furniture.Write a letter to the landlord. I your letter- introduce yourself- explain what is wrong with the fu grt2bagal sticky icon
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. You should write at least 150 words. Allow yourself 20 minutes eddysuaib sticky icon
Some people think that children obey rules and do everything as their parents and teachers say. Others believe that children who are controlled too much might be not well prepared for their adult life. aulia rahman
Expenditure on Fast Foods by income Groups, UK 1990. Robin
People naturally resist making changes in their lives. What kind of problems can this cause? What solutions can you suggest? nar
Some people prefer to be in the same kind of job their entire life, but others like to change their jobs frequently. Discuss both views and give your own opinion Rahi sticky icon
Some people see that university education is essential for successful life, while other don’t find it true. Discuss both the views and give your opinion batra08

You have seen a job advertisement in some newspaper. Write a letter to your friend asking him to consider this job. Please say - Where have you seen the ad?- What is the job description?- Why do you think, he is a suitable candidate for it? marzieh IELTS
Water is a natural resource thatshould always be free.Governments should ban the saleof bottled water.To what extent doyou agree or disagree? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
Fast food is becoming a part of our daily life. Some people argue that fast food has negative effects on our lifestyle and diet. Do you agree or disagree. mrmo2610 IELTS
Essay topic:Most of big cities are overpopulated. Why do people still move to big cities? Give your opinion and example. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? cieljessy IELTS
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? nwahyuni IELTS
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples fro Bustanul Arifin IELTS
Language option shirin IELTS

Topic: Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Other disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both views and give your own opinion.( Sample_answer_salmon) lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays most parents put a lot of pressure on their children to succeed. What are the reasons for parents to do this? Does it have a positive or a negative effect on children in general? drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II

The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some people think that it is beneficial for students to go to private schools, but other people think that it can have a negative effect. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinions. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The graph below shows the changes in food consumption by Chinese people between 1985 and 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
General Training Task 1Your assignment was due last week. Write a letter to your teacher saying that you did not complete it on time. In your letter saywhat the subject waswhy you didn't complete itwhen will you complete it. Buweni sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Some suggest that young people should take a job for a few years between school and university.Discuss what the advantages and disadvantages might be for people who do this.Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowl HoneyUK sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I

Sentence: The fundamental function of universities is a frequent topic when people discuss whether it is the responsibility for universities to teach students to master the knowledge and skills that they will need in work or they just need to offer students courses to learn more knowledge, regardless of its usage to their future work.
Description: A noun, plural, common is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to students and courses

Sentence: Even if someone is so lucky to get a job, he need the knowledge to fulfill it, otherwise, he will loss it eventually.
Description: The fragment he need the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace need with verb, past tense

Sentence: Nowadays, as the significantly fierce competition in job-hunting than ever before, one without relevant knowledge cannot find a proper job position, while universities are the places where students can prepare this prerequisite.
Error: job-hunting Suggestion: job hunting

flaw:
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.923 0.12 (Check out online what is Discourse Markers)