You are hereSome people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake

Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake

alicewei's picture

By alicewei - Posted on 31 March 2012

The fundamental function of universities is a frequent topic when people discuss whether it is the responsibility for universities to teach students to master the knowledge and skills that they will need in work or they just need to offer students courses to learn more knowledge, regardless of its usage to their future work. In my view, teaching students working knowledge and skills is the basic requirement for universities.

To begin with, students need the essential knowledge to get a job after graduating from universities. Nowadays, as the significantly fierce competition in job-hunting than ever before, one without relevant knowledge cannot find a proper job position, while universities are the places where students can prepare this prerequisite. Even if someone is so lucky to get a job, he need the knowledge to fulfill it, otherwise, he will loss it eventually.

On the other hand, the skills for working places, including not only professional skills but also how to learn knowledge, how to communicate with others and the ability to cooperate with colleagues must be mastered by an employee. These abilities are not learnt overnight, while universities have the resources and environment to teach their students these. They can learn the profession knowledge, for example, from teachers and from books in library or they can communicate effectively with people through the experience of spending time with their classmates. All these are not just for their suitable to work, but the necessary capabilities to survive in the world.

Furthermore, if graduates had no idea about the working knowledge, they would have to spend one year or more to master them before their independently working. In other words, this would be a prolonging of their school year because of universities failed to teach them what they should know. Thus, more people will no reluctant to go to universities any more, especially for those who come to universities for the purpose of finding a good job.

All in all, universities must accomplish their job to educate graduates to get prepared, so they can find a job, and better suit to work and life.